𝟎𝟒 | rosemary

𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒆𝒓𝒗𝒆𝒔 𝒂 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒋𝒐𝒉𝒏, 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒚𝒐𝒖

_______

MAY FERNSBY NAIVELY ROAMED THROUGH THE FOREST, minutes and minutes away from camp. she had to find something, anything, to help jasper hold off until clarke and the two boys came back.

she had aced botany in earth skills, just like wells. she knew every medicinal plant in the book, so that's what she was doing, looking for any that might be around.

her greasy hair gleamed in the bright sun, that had managed to peel through the tall trees, a true sight to see, one may had admired. looking at the bright blue sky, feeling the yellow circle beat heat onto her face, it gave her a feeling of peace, and that's what she did anytime she felt her symptoms of anemia return, feel the sun on her pale face.

while continuing to search around, a green plant growing out of the soft soil caught her attention, and she identified it quickly from a distance, rosemary. she bent down in front of the plant and plucked a couple stems off of its main one.

may smiled lightly and brought it up to her nose, taking in the deep scent of the rosemary. "what kind of plant is that?"

she jumped up in fear at the sound of a sudden voice, only to realize it was john murphy. "john." she groaned in annoyance, rolling her eyes, "stop sneaking up on me, you're gonna make me have a stroke, literally."

murphy had chuckled at her words at first, but the last part of may's sentence concerned him. his face dropped, "wait—can anemia cause you to have a stroke?"

whilst twirling the plant in between her thumb and index finger, the girl nodded sadly in response to his question. that's when he took in the girl's features, even with the sun shining on her skin she still looked pale, and the light rings under her eyes made him worry even more. this is when it truly hit him, may's anemia was serious.

"when was the last time you slept?" he questioned, raising a brow with his hands stuffed in his pockets. she chuckled and looked at the frail rosemary stem in her hold, "not since yesterday, i spent all night looking after jasper."

"you need to worry about yourself—you're anemic." he was quick to snap back at may, only his tone wasn't angry, "the kids dying anyways so what does it matter?"

may wasn't in the mood for an argument, so she just shook her head, "everyone deserves a chance, john. even you." she replied with a soft tone, flashing him a smile.

this girl certainly had an attitude at times, but no matter what he said she always replied in the nicest way possible, murphy had never met anyone like her.

the boy in front of may was about to speak up when suddenly a loud bellow of a horn started blowing somewhere in the far distance, and may felt her heart drop. her and murphy did a full scan of everything in their sight, nothing except a yellow cloud coming from their direction of camp.

"crap—we gotta run." she started taking a couple steps back in fear as murphy stared at the cloud in shock, "going back to camp is a no go." she grabbed his hand and yanked him the opposite direction of the questionable danger, "c'mon!"

both her and murphy ran as fast as they could to wherever they could find safety, scared out of their minds at the cloud coming their way.

running continued until suddenly may stepped in a pothole ankle deep, which made her fall and loose grip of murphy's hand. he stopped instantly, going to help her up when she stopped him, examining the hole her foot was stuck in.

she pulled her ankle out of the hole and proceeded to kick it with full force, revealing a small hole big enough for them both to fit through. she heard rocks hit something down below, where she knew it wasn't too big of a fall. she sighed breathlessly and looked to murphy, "our only option."

she slid herself into the unknown hole, where her brown boots hit the lumpy ground instantly. this random hole, or cave, was only a couple feet wide enough for them to just crouch. she climbed to the back of the hole, where just as murphy followed right in behind her.

the space, it was tight, and that was freaking may out. there wasn't enough space for her to breathe, and from her just running half a minute she started to get tired, where it wasn't just common fatigue, it was her anemia.

yet now, she was stuck in a hole with john murphy, and who knew how long they would be in there? because she certainly didn't, this was the last thing she would ever expect to happen in her life. stuck, with no other option to stay put. fantastic, justt fantastic.

(gif is of may running from the fog)