CH. 35

I smiled at Eugene, patting him on the shoulder. "It's alright, of course, you got scared. Anyone would've in this situation we are in right now." He slowly nods at me. "I'm glad you stayed." I smiled at him.

"Yeah, me too. So, I sat down and thought about it for a while. If you had said 'yes' I don't know what would even happen to us out there." He sighs. "Leaving this place out of anger and just storming off like that. Phew, would you even imagine that?" He relaxes into his seat, crossing his arms.

"I also thought about what you've said, that it's better to be with others than to be alone." He gives me a warm smile. "I guess you're right."

A moment of silence falls upon the two of us. "S-sorry if I'm boring you with all of this." I gave him a small smile. "No, it's alright. I'm glad that I've got to have a talk with you."

He nods at me. "Also.." He looks into my eyes with seriousness. "Remember when I called out Zion back in Sue's classroom?" I simply nod at him in response. "I actually found this.." Eugene opens his hand, showing me a button.

"Looks familiar?" I nodded as he hands it over to me. I've seen that golden button on school uniforms and the only person wearing that kind of uniform here is Zion. "This belongs to.." "Yeah.." I stared into his orange orbs in shock.

"I don't even know why it was there, it didn't make any sense." He sighs, rubbing his arm nervously. "I felt like I shouldn't talk to him about this, so I didn't."

I looked him in the eye "No, you did the right thing Eugene." I paused for a minute. "We can't make any hasty judgments, especially at times like this."

"Right, but I'm just confused that's all." He crosses his arms. "Well, you're smart so tell me what you think about this." He looks me in the eye, waiting for my response. "It's strange because Zion and Sue are not really that close," I mumbled to myself disdainfully.

"Exactly!" He looks me in the eye. "It's strange, but we need more clues." I look him in the eyes as he nods at me. "A small button is not sufficient to draw a conclusion." I heaved out a heavy sigh.

"How are you going to get more clues?" "I must find it myself," I replied to his inquiry. "I'll help you." He has a look of determination in his deep orange orbs.

"By the way, have you noticed something weird about the guys?" I asked, deliberately avoided mentioning Lawrence.

"Man, everything is weird if you ask me." He heaves out a sigh, crossing his arms as he places legs on the desk. "What's even normal these days?" He shrugs.

"Other than this button, I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary, to be honest." He responds, his eyelids are starting to fall. "I'll go talk to Zion." I stood up from my seat.

"Wait, I'll go with you." He grabs my wrist gently as I nodded at him. "Alright, let's go!" I gave him a small smile, grabbing his hand and walking the two of us out of the room.

~~~~~~~~~

The two of us stood in front of Zion's door, a hesitant look on our faces. Eugene gathers up the courage and bangs on Zion's door harshly.

Zion slides the door open, raising an eyebrow at the two of us. "Huh, what are you guys doing here this late?" "Can we come in?" Eugene stares at the ginger male intently.

"Uh, sure?" Zion opens his door wide enough for the two of us to enter. I closed the door behind me. "Alright, you guys are scaring me. What's happening here?" Zion crosses his arms and furrows his eyebrows.

"Take a look at this," I said softly, showing him the golden button. Eugene stares at my face in disappointment, wishing that I was a bit harsher.

"Huh?" He pauses for a moment, taking a good look at the button in my hand. "Wait, that looks like my button." He gasps. "Yeah, that's why we're here." I look him in the eyes.

"Wait a sec, where did you get this?" He stares at the two of us, puzzled. "Remember when I called your name back in Sue's classroom?" Eugene stares at the ginger male.

"So that's where you found it, but look." Zion grabs his blazer, showing us his buttons. "I know there's one missing, but I lost that way back." He stares at the two of us.

"You remember this, Eugene. I've only had two buttons and you know that." Zion furrows his eyebrows at Eugene. "Yeah, I guess you're right. I must have forgotten about it." Eugene shrugs his shoulders.

"(Y/N), since you're here I suppose that you could tell us what had happened when you guys were out in the town." Zion crosses his arms, waiting for my response. "Huh, something had happened?" Eugene's ears perked up, intrigued.

"Yeah, they heard about this safe zone, but I think there was something else too." Zion leans in closer to my face. "R-right." I pushed him away as I started explaining everything to them carefully.

They both stared at me in shock. "I mean, I can't blame Lawrence for what he did.." Zion shrugs his shoulders. "But, I also can't say that what he did was the right thing."

------------------

(A/N): I hope that you enjoyed this chapter and please stay tuned for more!