One

"Dix I swear to the goddess if you don't pack your suitcase I will burn your entire closet!" I threatened her with my arms folded across my chest and foot tapping on the floorboard

"Dix I swear to the goddess if you don't pack your suitcase I will burn your entire closet!" I threatened her with my arms folded across my chest and foot tapping on the floorboard. We leave tomorrow to go home to the royal castle and she still hasn't packed up her suitcase. Dixie's eyes widened, she dropped her phone and immediately started throwing clothes into her suitcase. I smile in content and walked into our kitchen until tomorrow with pasta on the stove.

Dixie and I are three years apart making her seventeen and I twenty but honestly sometimes it feels as if she is the older one. She is everything I should be, brave, courageous, not afraid to take on challenges, and don't hesitate to make new friends or talk to strangers. Everything I'm not in a good way you could find it in her. She is very protective over me and I'm equally protective of her. She's my responsibility since my parents died after all.

Working for the royal family isn't easy and it is my punishment for my parents after they died trying to kill the queen and king years ago. I wonder at night if they loved us but clearly, they didn't enough to not take that risk. Did they even think that we would still need them? Even now that I'm twenty and not ten I still feel like I need them. I guess not since I'm surviving fine right?

Shaking my head, I washed my hands clean before continuing on dinner. "Dixie, dinner is done!" I shout and she piles out of the room within the next second. Things this girl does for food. We both take food out of the pan and sat down in the chairs. "Are you ready to go back to school?" I questioned her with a grin on my face. She's going to be in Junior year of high school when I'm getting out of junior year of college. Online school of course since I'm busy at school hours being the head maid to the royal family and all.

"Obviously not, are you ready to go back to work?" Dixie raised her eyebrow at me to prove the point. I gave in and shook my head. "Exactly," he said. I still had no idea why the royal family demanded that all the workers take a week off work. They even paid for our tickets to leave and come back once we didn't ask questions. So for the past week, Dixie and I made a hotel room our home until we got back to London where the castle and our apartment were. It was honestly a blessing that we got an apartment on the way to Dixie's school and the palace.

"What time are we leaving for the airport again?" She asked and I wondered if she ever pays attention to anything I'm saying. "Four am," I answered her and turned on the television.

•••

This was just a chapter dedicated to showing you the life and background of our main character Elaria. You will know more about her in more to come. Keep reading

Update: Hey guys! So...this book is a short book with short chapters. Now my writing has improved and my chapters are longer in my current stories. So I sorry for the shortness.