✦ The Fire Balls

| P R O L O G U E

"A seventeen-year-old teen was watching the sunset alone, and suddenly, she disappeared between the sky and the grass!"

My silly thoughts.

These thoughts subsided when I caught the beautiful sunset that could have inspired the artists to create something. And all I could do was to watch and ponder.

The bench I was sitting was wooden, standing in the green extended field. Just below was our home, a good neighborhood and the whole town at the other side of the hill, my school's location. I usually prefer to stay at home or to stroll around the nature if I have a mood during free time as I am quite reserved having few friends to hang out with.

I was this typical girl who dreamt of flying to the space searching for new discoveries or anything that could breakthrough. All the dreamers finds it effortless to dream, but chasing it becomes like a Jupiter's sized mountain to climb. Okay, I might exaggerated the steps, but every so often it naturally does not become so cool to keep up the vision. Neither it means to give up nor backing down, well, there's another thing that causes me to procrastinate. That's how I have already failed to share with my friends what I needed to tell. It's an anxiety and an uncertain fear.

I cannot think of losing someone I met or have.

"Back to the land, girl!"

When my loafing hour was almost over though I wasn't a time freak, somehow I convince myself not to get anxious about papers, exams, results and so forth from time to time. I could say that my overthinking has been slowing down, but regularly the breathing exercises don't work anymore. And I become a vessel for infinite fantasy.

At night, I started studying for my exams. It was chemistry tomorrow. Lab Practicals were interesting except the whole reactions which we have to cram anyhow. My parents all the time suggested me to sleep early during tests and luckily, I'm an early bird, plus I talk and listen to myself more than to others.

My plans were to text my friends, revisions, and then to bed. And of course, I did. My bed was closer to the large window, my favourite place to watch the views outside. With dreams and hopes in life, my eyes sparkled as I gazed at the sky. It was clear, starry, and wonderful, I felt some sort of enigmatic connection. It always happened to me since I started to stare aimlessly at the age of, um...don't know.

Strolling my eyes to the ground, I saw the neighbour's houses lighted up by the street lights, and talking about the street, it wasn't busy. Some small cars were rushing to their home, I guessed because it was the time to rest. I was grateful my parents didn't come home this late from work. The atmosphere was still. By the time of stargazing, the neighbours switched their lights off and the streets were empty. Silence prevailed. This was the right moment to hit the sack.

In the middle of the night, I woke up by the flash of light penetrating through the window. There was no sound. I tried to sleep, but I groaned in distress as it was troublesome to sleep back as the lights had disturbed my slumber. Thus, I decided to peep outside just in case. Sleepily, I moved the curtains, partially covering my eyes. Gasps came out of my mouth, as it wasn't the thing I ever thought would be playing out before my eyes.

"What the heck is this?" I whispered, rubbing my eyes in disbelief.

Thousands of tiny fireballs were floating in the still air. Naturally, my face went to stuck close to the window pane and my mouth was wide open in surprise. Calling them glow-worm or fireflies would be unattractive to compare. Those were fireballs in real, emitting their lights just outside the window. Unbelievably near my home! My eyes were not deceptive, on the contrary I couldn't believe in my eyes, they looked captivating. I was sure it was not a dreamland because once again I must say my eyes could not betray me. However, fireballs! What in the earth I'd got to witness this?

An idea popped in after seconds of puzzled brain. I easily spotted my phone on the table. Yes, I was thinking of recording the things.

Not when I was only making a slight crawl to the table, those uncanny objects vanished into thin air. I looked at the sky, the horizon in curious state and every corner of the vista, but those things were nowhere to be seen.

Thinking of my exams, I felt pressured. Afterwards, I tried to forget all the things, though my mind was unsettled and silently dozed off by star's grace.

-

Days passed normally. Our school declared a short-term break for a week, and I was happy as I did my best in the answer sheets.

April, my childhood and also my classmate friend, invited me for some special reason at her home. I knew she would recommend me some self-help books, one of my favourite genre that I needed from my soul.
Likewise, I reached there at eleven in the morning by walking. Our homes were at the same row near the side walk and took only five minutes to reach there.

I pressed the doorbell. She opened the door welcoming inside which made me guess, she was alone. We hugged each other and commented on each other's hair length. It was our summer goal.

"Your Mom's isn't home?"

Shopping was her answer. Straight way, we walked towards her room. As we were in her room, she handed me a bottle of strawberry juice to drink and a thick book as per my prediction. My thoughts were right, but when I glanced at the book cover, I was wrong at the same time.

'Ask Me Anything'

I smiled as this book was really I was searching for a long time. She excitedly stated, "There are all information about everything, I also mean planets!"

"Thanks! Should I take this to home?"

"Of course, but you've to tell me your one secret. Anything balances Anyone!"

"Oops, I don't have any." I replied, sipping the juice at small intervals.

She pretended dramatically of bored yawning expression, "Go ahead."

I took a few deep breaths before telling her about the last month's incident. She listened to me with great interest. We were sitting on the bed, staring each other faces, holding the pillows tight in front of our lap. When I finished, we both were startled by the presence of April's mother, smiling right at the door, watching our interactions. I greeted her. And she walked to another room, knowing our need for friendly time together.

"OMG! I couldn't believe it. Fireballs!" She yelled her suppressed words.

"Yeah. That was so surreal."

All of a sudden, my phone rang. It was my dad. He asked me to come home and hung up. It was a mere ten seconds call.

Keeping my phone on the book, "I've to go home. They are calling me. It's not an emergency, to be honest," I stood up straightening my sweatpants.

April nodded in response with a sad expression. "So quick."

On the way, I came up with various thoughts. I took every breath deeply, enjoying the great day. I smiled while passing on the road with people. The courage to speak to strangers and neighbours was a hard choice for my shy nature. Once I had the strong conviction to fight with it, but I always remained me, the real myself.

Dad's car was just outside, seemed they were going some place. The front door of the home was open. I closed the door behind me. They appeared from their room, simply dressed; sweet floral fragrance was coming from my mama's direction. They were looking delighted.

"Sage, we are going to receive your cousin at the airport. Would you like to come?"

Cousin?

"It was a surprise for you, Sageii. I hope you aren't nervous. Your elder cousin Eric is coming." Mama added just after Dad's question.

I sighed softly. "I'm not nervous, mom. I'll stay at home."

"Okay, dear. Be safe inside. I'll text you on our arrival."

'Okay' was my only word.

They left.

☆ ☆ ☆

Have a nice day! Stay healthy and safe, Readers :)

©Krity 2020