Ch 1-Welcome Home!

Start from the beginning

"Mom it's like the Arctic tundra. How in the world am I supposed to keep my base coat when it's so freaking cold?" Ashley groaned slamming the car door shut and walking to stand by my side.

"Why did we have to leave Miami?" Ashley whispers to me and I don't say anything but, continue to stare at the bench swing sitting off in the corner of our front yard. That swing held so many memories for me.

Four years earlier.
"So you're really moving?" Lucas says not even making eye contact with me. I knew he was upset. After all we both had been friends since we were eight years old.

"Yup no way going around it. Dad's going to join a law firm down in Miami and were all forced to go with him." I sigh wondering what Miami will have in store for me anyways.

"Miami. I mean what do you even do there? Surf? You don't even know how to surf." Lucas says in all seriousness and I start laughing at him slapping him on the arm.

"Obviously!"

He laughs at me only shaking his head. "But, you could always learn. And you will. You'll forget all about me and Kayla in no time." I can see the sadness in his eyes as he looks at me full on finally.

His dark brown eyes making my heart melt.

"I would never!" I shout raising my eyebrows for added effect.

"Yeah, we'll see. And I bet you'll find a boyfriend too." Lucas said in almost a nervous tone and I tilted my head at him confused.

"Is that so? I doubt that. No boy ever gives me a second look." I sigh running a hand through my dirty blonde hair and tucking it behind my ear.

And then I feel it. Lucas' eyes on me so intently that it made my heart jump and my stomach explode in butterflies.

"I have." Lucas says lightly almost under his breath as he leans in closer to me. My heart stops as his lips slowly press against mine.

Present
"HAYLEY GRAB NOLA!" I turned my attention to my little sister once more. However she wasn't standing next to me anymore but, by the Tundra. She was standing in front of the door to the backseat and was tugging on the leash of our 2 year old, brown and white Akita who looked less than willing to work with her.

After all the only person Nola ever really listened to was me and my dad occasionally but, that was because he helped discipline her.

I laughed for the first time the whole ride up here and walked over to the car clapping my hands together.

"Come on Nola!" I called and like that Nola jumped out of the car and ran to my side.

I smirked at Ashley as I kneeled down giving Nola a good ear rub.

"Why couldn't we leave you in Florida." Ashley grumbled gripping hold of a box and taking it towards the house scowling at Nola the whole time.

"She's just jealous." I say to Nola as I continue petting her. She tilted her head to the side, her dark brown puppy eyes gleaming.

"Hey Hales, would you mind putting this box in the garage?" My dad said walking over to me with a box that said "kitchen."

I momentarily wondered why it would go in the garage and not the kitchen but, decided not to ask as I took the box from him and used a garage opener to open the garage door.

As the door opened a new looking white Nissan Altima with black tinted windows came into view and I quickly whipped my head around to look at my parents who were now standing together looking at me with big smiles.