Energy Part 2

My love,

I'm sorry to have left so abruptly. I didn't know what to do. I should have told you what was happening, but I didn't want to put you in any danger. I managed to do so regardless, and I'm sorry. I hope this letter finds you safe. Maybe you're at the table eating one of the croissants from the cafe. I loved going there with you, especially on anniversaries.

I can't tell you everything, but I can tell you this: I didn't want to leave you. I loved you and still do. Something happened that made me have to leave—for your safety. I promise you I am alive and well. I'm sorry I didn't write to you sooner. I didn't know if it was safe yet. I'm not even sure if it's safe now, but I knew I couldn't abandon you like that.

There were some things I had to take care of. Alone. I've been testing the waters for a few months now, and things seem to be safe, but I can't put you in danger.

This letter is for closure. I don't want you to forget me, but I want you to move past it. I still love you, and maybe you love me, too, but we can't be together with these people around. Please understand.

Love,

Demi

I read the letter again and again. I feel more confused than ever. What was she involved in? Did she get mixed up in some drug business? Did she owe people money? I stare at the piece of paper. I feel anger rising in my chest. She couldn't have thought this would actually make me feel better. If anything, this makes things worse. I know for a fact that she's alive, and she may or may not be in some sort of trouble. She would't have written something like this just because. And not on the anniversary of her disappearance. The anger starts to subside slowly as I realize she's trying to tell me something.

But what? I look at the letter again. I try to read it slowly. She mentions the croissants. And anniversaries. That cannot be a coincidence. Does she want to meet there? Is that what she's saying? The fact that she says "please understand" tells me she is definitely trying to tell me something. But...it's too obvious. She wouldn't be this obvious about the cafe. Then my eyes fall on the first two sentences of the last paragraph. Then I remember. A store near the cafe was closed recently—it went into foreclosure. The building is now abandoned. "We can't be together with these people around" sounds like she wants to meet in an abandoned place. It's a bit of a long shot. Maybe I'm thinking too much.

But then again, what's the worst that could happen? I get killed? That's pretty bad, I guess.

But I would never be able to forgive myself if I didn't go. If I didn't at least try. 

I remember all those times we spent together.

"We should get home," I said as she kept pulling me down the street past the cafe. 

"What we should do is get another drink," she replied, grinning brightly. She was always so beautiful. No matter what we were doing, she always looked stunning. 

"It's so late," I whined, but she just gave me a look. 

"Please. Just one more place!" She looked into my eyes and stuck out her bottom lip. 

I groaned. I couldn't say no to her. "Fine," I said, and she lit up, grinning brightly again. 

"Let's go."

I stuck with her through thick and thin. I wasn't about to stop now. 

A/N

I'm thinking this will go on for maybe two or three more parts?