New Year's Eve

You start thinking about all that happened this year...

You remember the time that person broke your heart. He didn't care about you at all. He didn't care for your emotions. He didn't care that you loved him. You would have made him so happy, but he just didn't love you back. The least he could have done was be a decent human and told you that he didn't love you. But instead, he spent months with you, letting you believe that he loved you back. Until suddenly, he decided that you weren't good enough. You were fine one day ago, and then he suddenly got bored. And he moved on to someone else.

And your heart was shattered just like that. It took months to recover. You felt like you weren't good enough. You thought that for the first time in your life, you finally found someone good who loved you and would treat you well. But you were wrong. He was just like the rest. He was just like the others who tossed you aside as if you were nothing.

And it hurt. It hurt a lot.

He was happy with his new girlfriend. You told him you were happy for him. He told you he wanted to be friends still, so you agreed. You enjoyed having him near you. Of course you agreed. You wanted to be in his life somehow.

But he was poison.

When he cut you out of his life, you were sad at first. But then you realized that you were a lot better off without him. But you still felt resentment.

In your heart, you felt bitter. And that bitterness led to spite. And that spite destroyed you.

You spiraled out of control. You made bad decisions. You reached out to an ex. You wanted validation and yet, you couldn't even find that. And when you hit rock bottom, you met her.

Thinking back, she was always near. Not always in an obvious manner, but nonetheless, she stayed close to you. She'd occasionally speak with you but nothing too much. You never really saw her until this one day, she came over to sit with you.

"Hey," she said, and you smiled in response. "Can I sit with you?"

"Of course," you replied. You were working on your essay as you listened to music. Nothing too dramatic. Yet that moment is still distinct in your memory.

You saw her for the first time. She was looking down at her phone doing something, and you just kept looking at her.

You couldn't help it. She was so beautiful. And somehow, you'd been so blind that you never noticed her beauty.

Over the months, she helped you heal, and you grew closer and closer. You fell for her—hard. And for once, instead of falling down an abyss like with all the others, you landed in her arms. And she held you close to her, opening her heart to you and letting you in. You fell deeper and deeper in love with her with each passing moment.

And so, you made a decision. The new year was fast approaching; on New Year's Eve, you were going to tell her how you felt. It was already pretty fucking obvious. You flirted intensely, and you didn't really leave anything slightly implied or hinted at. But still, you never voiced that you wanted to date her—officially.

So tonight, on New Year's Eve, you were going to ask her to be your girlfriend.

———

You've been talking with her all night. It's your usual touchy, flirty banter, but you still haven't said anything about dating. You've made plans for trips together, yet you still haven't voiced making it official.

As the minutes tick by, your heart starts to beat faster and faster. It's getting closer and closer to midnight.

People start counting down from thirty.

You look into Demi's eyes. She wraps her arms around your neck, letting her face grow close to yours.

Twenty

"Demi?" you ask, and she smiles slightly. You move your hands to her hips, pulling her slightly closer.

"What?"

"Be my girlfriend," you say, and she lets out a soft laugh. Her smile grows wider, and her brown eyes sparkle.

"Yes."

Ten

"I love you," you whisper, leaning closer to her. You're acutely aware of her body pressing into yours.

"I love you," she replies, her eyes flickering to your lips.

Five

And you lean in at the same moment. Your lips meet, and your heart flutters. You've wanted to do this for so long. You're finally kissing her. Her lips feel so soft against yours.

You can faintly hear the sound of the countdown ending. It's the new year, and you've entered it in the best possible way.

You pull apart after a moment, but you can still feel the ghost of her lips on yours.

You smile slightly.

"That was probably the best way to start the year," you say softly, and she laughs.

"I couldn't agree more."

A/N
I
want
to
do
this