I Wonder if You Do, Too

When I was empty, you came to me.

When I needed someone, you were there.

You filled that gaping hole in my heart and made me feel complete again.

And even today, I wonder what we could have had.

If I hadn't been scared.

And you hadn't thought I wasn't worth the wait.

———

"Hey!" I greeted you like any other day.

"Hey," you replied, a smile on your beautiful face. Sometimes I wonder why you ever paid attention to me. You were so surreally beautiful.

"Do you think you'd be up for hanging out tomorrow?" I asked, and your brown eyes sparkled. I remember when I'd get lost in them and barely hear what you were saying to me.

"Absolutely," you responded, nudging me with your arm. "You know I'm always up for hanging out with you."

I smiled and blushed. "Good."

———

"I really like you," you said, making my heart beat faster. Your long dark hair fell in waves about your gorgeous face, making you look like a princess. 

"I really like you, too, Demi," I replied, and you smiled, taking my hand. Your skin was soft and warm, making my stomach erupt in butterflies. 

"Be my girlfriend," you said, your brown eyes hopeful. I felt my breath catch in my throat. Every detail of this day has been seared into my mind. From your intoxicating scent to the lilting sound of your voice, everything is still clear. Every part of me truly wanted to tell you yes. 

But I was scared. I loved what we had and was scared of changing it. I was terrified of losing you. 

I knew I could trust you. I could tell you the truth. "I'm scared," I admitted, and your face softened.

"You're scared? Of what?" Your tone was soft, kind. 

"Of changing what we have now. It's amazing," I said, and your expression changed.

"Do you not trust me?" Accusing now.

"What? Of course I do." I felt scared.

"Why would you be scared if you trusted me to take care of you?" you asked, yanking your hand from mine. It felt like a slap in the face. "Do you even like me at all?" you questioned, your tone harsh. I couldn't believe what was happening.

"Demi—" I started, but you weren't listening anymore. Rejection was too much for you.

"Just because I like you doesn't mean I'm going to wait for you forever," you said. "I've been waiting for months." You stepped away from me, as if I disgusted you. 

"Can't you respect that I need time?" I countered, but you just glared at me.

"What about my time?" You felt I was being unfair. Perhaps I was. 

And with that, you left. You left my life. A week later, you had a girlfriend. And she wasn't me.

———

Sometimes I still think of you and what we could have had. I wonder if you do, too.

A/N

sorry for the weird format recently

this has felt the best for me right now