Chapter 36

20th May 2048

Later that night, when the house around me grew quiet, and each of my friends fell deeper into their reverie, I slid from the chaise longue by the window and padded across the wooden floor to my set of drawers. I slid my photo album free, tracing the simple leather cover. I had to know who had betrayed me.

I flicked through the pages, a smile playing on my lips when I relived the memories. This album was happier than my human one had ever been. Not that the times in there hadn't been happy but the yearning for those times gone by had brought me nothing but sorrow. This album was nothing like that. There was no longing, no regret.

I stared down at the photo that had been my undoing. Whoever it was had placed it back in the album perfectly. No ruffled corners. No creases. It was as if it had never been moved. It probably hadn't. A smartphone would have been the perfect way to send the image without ever needing to remove it.

I inhaled deeply as I bent to sniff the pages. Scents of my family drifted from the pages. That was to be expected. The Denalis and the Cullens had all glanced through this now and then. But there was a scent more powerful that the others. Fresher. I sighed as I recognised the floral notes of freesias.

I should have known.

"Sarelle?"

I closed the album slowly as I turned to face her. Freesias drifted on the air as she stood in my doorway. I should have been angry, but it wouldn't do any good now. It was probably how we had got to this place and it wouldn't fix anything now.

"What do you want?" I asked as I walked slowly to the chaise longue. If I was going to have to endure this conversation I wanted to put as much distant between us as I could.

She toyed with the door frame, seemingly unsure as to whether to enter the room or not. Like a deer edging into a clearing, all too aware it was leaving the safety of its hiding place.

With one decisive movement she stepped into the room, standing defiantly with her arms crossed as she mustered the courage to look me in the eye. "I wanted to thank you."

I balked as she stared at me with stubborn eyes. I wondered if Edward knew she was here.

"For what?" I asked as I watched her intently. From the way she tensed her jaw I knew this conversation was harder for her than she would let on.

"I know you've been practising with Kate, and I know it isn't easy." She played with her fingers, twisting the wedding band that lay there.

"It isn't but you persevere through the hard parts when it's your family at risk," I replied as I watched her. "But I don't have to tell you that, do I?"

Her eyes caught mine and the semblance of a smile flickered on her face.

"Anyway, I know things have changed now, and I just wanted to let you know that I'll do what I can to help."

"I appreciate that," As I stared at her, I knew I should leave it there. I should say goodnight and let her walk away feeling like this conversation had been a success. But as she flicked her hair over her shoulder, and that smell of freesias wafted once again, I felt that feeling crumble.

I ran my hands through my hair feeling the electricity crackle. "Except, you've probably done enough already."

"Excuse me?" She chewed her lower lip. She looked so innocent but that was how she had gotten away with this for so long. No one would ever have suspected someone so sweet could do something so deceitful, so vile.

I walked slowly towards her. Her breath caught as I leaned across her, pushing the door closed softly. This was not a conversation I wanted the rest of the house to be privy to.