Chapter 39

27th June 2048

The past two days had been torture. The kiss between Edward and I had replayed in my head every second. Each time bringing with it another ounce of guilt. Now as I watched the Cullens gather their things I felt sick to my stomach. I picked at the pom poms on the bed throw as I watched Rose and Emmett move around the room. Anything to stop my hands from texting Edward.

"Maybe one day we can go to Italy without the pressure of impending doom," Rose commented as she packed her passport and matches into a small holdall.

I unfolded myself from the bed and moved my fingertips over the expensive jewellery Rose had hanging from a small earring stand. Diamonds dripped from each prong, glittering in the glow of twilight. I wondered what Edward would look like in this light. Standing in front of me with his shirt undone slightly at his neck revealing the angles of defined collar bones and the strong slope of his broad chest.

"Are you OK, Saz?" Emmett asked, pulling from my reverie.

I blinked as I turned to see the two of them looking at me. Rose had the same look of concern she'd had since we had received the letter from the Volturi.

I took a deep breath and plastered on a smile. "I'm fine. Just thinking I could do with updating my jewelry collection."

"No it's more than that. What's going on?"

"Nothing, I'm just..."

"Distracted?" Rose asked. Her hair slipped over her shoulder as she tilted her head to eye me shrewdly.

"Something like that." If I could blush I would.

"I know the feeling. I just want to be in it, you know," Emmett said with a grin as he rolled his shoulders, thick muscles rolling in preparation of the coming fight.

Rosalie rolled her eyes and I hoped whatever was coming they would always be like this. I hadn't seen much of them in the jumps to the future, but I hoped they were still like this. Even more than that, I hoped that those jumps had been a possibility not an inevitability. I had never truly experimented with jumping to the future, so I wasn't sure whether they determined what would happen or if they just gave a glimpse of what could happen. I had assumed they were set points in time, immovable and unchanging, but if I had never experimented with it then how could I really know how it worked? I hadn't realised my gift could do the things it could until recently, so was it possible that I needed to change my perspective?

"Saz?" Emmett called, laughing as I snapped out of thought.

"Yeah?"

"Nessie and Jake are heading out, are you coming to see them off?" He asked as he carried the bags out the room. Following Rosalie as she swept out of the room.

"Yeah course," I tucked my hair behind my ears and stroked the locket at my chest. An energy had started to build my chest, emanating from where the locket rested cooling against my skin.

"OK weirdo, we'll see you downstairs." He chuckled, ruffling my hair as he passed me.

I followed them slowly, feeling the energy spread across my limbs, rolling through my veins and tickling the pit of my stomach. The tingle hadn't crept up on me like this in a long time, so it felt foreign now compared to the recent violent jumps.

"Guys..." I started but before I could finish the words, I was whipped away from the Cullens and flashed into a room I had never seen but felt somewhat familiar.

I gasped as I saw the diamond wallpaper and imposing four poster bed. The thick stone walls stretched to reach the ornate ceiling above and although it was meant to be beautiful, I felt nothing but dread.