Chapter 24

Thursday, 1st February 2048.

I didn't tell anyone about the involuntary jump that had happened two weeks ago. I didn't see the point to worry them over something so trivial. The more I thought about it, the more I convinced myself that it was just a result of adjusting to the school, the situation with Edward, the overload of information I had taken on that week. There was no other explanation, at least not one that I wanted to consider. Part of me knew I shouldn't be keeping secrets from my coven, or the Cullens, but it had always been my way since discovering my gift. Little white lies here and there to keep others around me from worrying unnecessarily, or asking too many questions.

I caught Edward's eyes watching me cautiously over the lunch table. Sometimes I wondered if my mind was still immune to his gift. He had a way of looking at me as if he knew my every thought.

It was in this moment that I noticed how his eyes flicked to a spot in the cafeteria behind me and his eyes hardened to a near deadly glare. Bella didn't seem to notice as she chatted with Alice beside her.

I turned to see what had caused his reaction and my gaze caught on the green eyed boy I had bumped into straight after my jump. I'd noticed him in my history class, although he usually kept to himself. From hearing the register I'd learnt he was called Alfie Hutton but that was all I knew of him. Now and then I would catch his eyes on me, but he soon ducked his head down, his dark shaggy hair hanging over his eyes.

"Looks like Saz has got an admirer, eh Eddie?" Emmett teased as he nudged me roughly on the shoulder. I playfully batted him away as I turned away from Alfie. He had flushed at being caught staring and the red glow across his face caused a raw tickle in my throat as the thirst was set aflame.

"Typical human. They're always drooling over us," Rosalie said with her usual bored tone that she reserved for talking about the human teenagers around us. I noticed Bella flinch at her words and Jacob and Ren gave her a sharp glare. Clearly Bella's choice to turn still created a fundamental difference between her and the rest of the family.

"It's nothing. He's probably just curious. I'm still the new girl after all." I brushed off Emmett's comment.

"Not so new now. You'll have been here three weeks next Monday. " Alice chipped in.

"It's hard to believe I've been here that long."

"Time flies when you're having fun. Although how you can find this fun, God knows," Rose grumbled as she lounged against Emmett.

I snuck another glance at Alfie. He was fiddling awkwardly with his napkin. His long nimble fingers folding the edges again and again, creating shapes from the creativity of his mind. His quietness intrigued me. It was perceptive, more than his peers.

I shoved my curiosity aside before my interest became apparent. I disguised my glance with a casual scan across the cafeteria, looking out past Jasper and Alice to the car park beyond. Students were milling around, those that had went home for lunch or travelled to the local cafe to eat out. Some were allowed, others did it without permission. It was odd the teenagers did for that feel of rebellion.

The second hand cars made the Cullens cars stand out in contrast but it wasn't the shiny volvo, or the Emmett's monster jeep that caught my attention. Instead it was the dark blue rental car that pulled into an open space on the far side of the car park. The windows were tinted so it stood out more than usual. As the morning break bell rang I casually wondered who was visiting the school, whether it would be a new student, or a new teacher. In the past three weeks it was the first visitor I had seen.

"Come on, Sarelle, it's time for another dose of slow and painful torture." Alice chirped as she picked up her bag and linked her arm through mine.