Chapter 22

It seemed like the festive period flew by after my talk with Carlisle. No sooner had the Christmas trees been decorated with glitter and gold, than the bells were ringing out for New Year's day. Another year, a fresh start, and a year of adventure stretched out ahead of me. In all my vampire life I had never felt so excited to see another year roll around. I knew my excitement was mainly due to the permission I had been given by the Denalis to attend the local high school with the Cullens, but still it felt like this year would be different to the others. I could feel change in the air.

Nothing had changed between Edward and I since I saw him with Bella. I had purposefully kept my distance, despite the itch I had to see him. Seeing them together had drilled home what deep down I already knew. No matter how much I loved him, or how much he claimed to love me, I wouldn't hurt the Cullens by acting on my impulses. Yes we would spend time together, and yes I would hide myself in the crook of his neck, or clutch his hand in mine, but I would never take it further than that. No matter how much I wanted to. Adultery was one human moral I had yet to break and I hoped it would stay that way.

As always on Christmas day we Denalis sat around the living room fire and told stories of Christmases past. Memories of the many lives we'd lived. I had recounted the year, eighty years prior, when Aslo and I had found ourselves in 1902 stood outside my childhood home. It was another jump that was never meant to have happened, but I was forever grateful it did. We had been hunting near New Orleans in 1932 when we crossed paths with a territorial coven of three. A fight had ensued and on impulse my gift sent us thirty years back to the past. Aslo had been ravenous and sprung upon the nearest living thing he could grasp. A black cat. I'd never let him forget it since and the Denalis joined in my amusement as I narrated my way through the memory. It wasn't until Aslo had settled and carefully disposed of the poor kitty that I had noticed where we were.

The large sash windows shone with the golden glow of fire light, and I could hear the all too familiar sound of a piano being played within. I'd crept closer to the window, enraptured with what lay beyond the hand blown glass. When my eyes finally fell upon them I felt a smile creep onto my face. They were younger than I remembered them, but it was my parents nonetheless. My mother, with her fine stature and pale blonde hair just like mine, was sitting across from the fire with a loving smile on her face. I followed her gaze and noticed my father seated at the piano, his fingers flowing fluidly across the keys and his golden eyes glinting. They were watching something as it moved around the room, I could see their eyes follow it. I lifted myself a little higher to get a better view. As I did I let out a gasp as I saw my two year old self tottering around the room with clumsy steps. I stood watching in awe as my toddler self came towards the window and placed two warm hands on the pane. I could see how the steam outlined the little chubby fingers. A bright smile lit the toddler's face ad I felt myself mirror it. I had been so happy, so oblivious to anything but the marvels of youth, as it was meant to be for one so young.

I heard my mother tell the toddler to come away from the window but the child refused to move. I ducked out of sight as my father swooped from the piano and picked the child up, swinging her around as her giggles rang out through the room. It was hard to believe we were the same person. The same girl in the same time but a lifetime apart. That memory had been one of the very best of all my years.

My festive reverie sharply ended as I heard Kate's infectious laughter.

"She's visiting the school for the first time, not walking down a catwalk in Milan, Alice," She teased as I stood diligently while Alice raided my closet for a suitable outfit. She was adamant that first impressions were important and that outfit choice played a crucial part.

Although I hadn't said anything, I was glad for the distraction she provided. I was still nervous about the visit to the school. So many humans in one place, and so many moments for something to go wrong.