Chapter 42

7th July 2048

"Sarelle St Clair. A pleasure as always."

As the thick oak doors opened before me, I was met by a sight chilling enough to cool even a vampire's veins. Black cloaked figures stood at attention, lining the walls of the expansive chamber. Aro paraded before them with open arms and a gleeful grin, flanked by Caius and Marcus. This was his show and they were happy for him to play it out however he desired.

"I see our past meetings a little differently, Aro." I sniped as I twisted in Felix's grip. Aaron followed us quietly as he always did. Close but always just out of reach.

Aro pouted in mock sympathy, "then I fear I may disappoint you again, child, for I am sorry to say that this meeting is due to a grave act of disobedience."

As he spoke he postured for his audience. For one who had experienced so much, this was clearly his favourite form of entertainment. A living game of chess; a rigged battle of wits.

Felix pulled me towards our judge and jury, depositing me at the centre of the spectacle. I glanced to where Edward stood beside me. His shirt as crumpled, but he didn't look harmed. His arm curled around Bella's waist as Aro beamed at our unlikely trio.

"Aro, what is the meaning of this?" Edward asked pointedly. I could only wish I shared his gift and was privy to Aro's thoughts.

"All in due time, young one."

I couldn't help rolling my eyes.

"Always the theatrics. Just get on with it, Aro," I said bitterly. "You've had us locked up for days now."

His laughter filled the quiet chamber and with it the Volturi guard almost rippled with enjoyment. Crimson eyes looked on intently, hungry for more.

His scarlet eyes fixed on me as he took a calculated pause, "if you so wish, child."

His focus switched, "my dear Isabella." Her name rolled off his tongue. "Do you know this dazzling woman, Sarelle?"

"Yes, she is a family friend. She has been staying near us for the past year," she replied obediently.

I noticed how her voice fell flat on the word friend, but I commended her on her courage. She didn't drop her gaze from Aro's probing stare.

"Is that all you know of her, her recent acquaintance with your family?" He pushed, dancing around us with the vigour of a man seeing his dream come to fruition.

Bella chose her words carefully, "I know she has history as a friend of the whole family."

"Would you say her bond is closer with any member in particular?" Aro asked with glee.

Edward tensed beside me. For the first time Bella cast an unsure glance at her husband.

"What does Sarelle's relationship with our family have to do with this matter?" Edward asked with frustration.

"In time, Edward. All shall be revealed," he said with a poignant pause. A smile split across his face. Wide and menacing like a pumpkin at Halloween. The thin papery skin seemed to almost crinkle with its force.

The black velvet cloaks surrounding us swished again in anticipation.

His attention turned back to Bella, "Now, Isabella. Please answer."

"Sarelle has a special place within our family." Her wariness seemed to titillate him as he bounced back to his brothers, capturing their thoughts on the matter so far with a light touch of the hand.

"Is that so? Yes, Marcus?" He paused as he read his brother's mind. "Ha ha! How scintillating!"

Edward's head dropped for a moment, his hand clenching and unclenching as he tried to hide his emotions.