Chapter 2

I knelt down beside the man's sleeping form, placing a light kiss on his warm forehead. The feel of his skin on my lips was like a delicious fire seeping through the surface. His vital blood created a slight fluttering under his skin while its scent filled my mind. He evanesced the smell rosewood, but I could easily smell the spicy scent of ginger, the tell tale sign of our night together. It was intoxicating, that fragrance that came with a man's arousal, and it had been the downfall of so many over the years. I could still remember the first human man I ever slept with as a vampire. Then it wasn't about the warmth, or the connection, it was about the way the act intensified the taste of their blood on my tongue. It was a sensual way of hunting that had seemed to occur to me almost spontaneously. I didn't make it a regular occurrence but on those nights when the air seemed heavy and the bars smelt especially delectable, Aslo and I would indulge ourselves for a night.

Now, however, it was all so different. Over the years, as my conscience grew and the vegetarian diet became a stronger and stronger presence in my mind, I sought out the company of human men for something other than their blood. I started to learn, to teach myself to control my thirst, to control the more instinctive urges, and by doing that they lived.

I took a final glance at the man all sprawled out on the sheets. He was young, probably around his twenties, and the way he face was relaxed in sleep made him look almost serene. I briefly checked the skin which was on show for any injuries and smiled when I found none. He would have no reminders for what happened last night, just a few blurry memories.

I sighed and left him to return home. He'd given me what I looked for, the warmth, the comfort, the feeling of being adored. Even if they wouldn't last forever they'd last long enough.

I moved quickly as I ghosted through the empty streets of Colter Bay. It was dawn so the air still had the cool freshness.

My run home didn't take very long. Our house rested on the edge of Jackson Lake, away from the village and its busyness.

I met Tanya at the front door, grinning at the faint bite mark on the inside of her wrist.

"I see little Jamie Welter kept you entertained last night," I said as we walked inside.

Tanya grinned before her eyes indicated for me to show her my own wrists. "I've shown you mine now you show me yours."

I turned my pale skin up for her eyes to see the two faint bite marks, identical on each wrist.

"Twice in one night, I didn't think Ben had it in him." I giggled at Tanya's comment, reminiscing on the short amount of time I'd been able to lie beside Ben without my body temperature waking him. It was nice to feel his warmth against my skin, to hear his heartbeat in his chest and feel its mild tremors reverberate through my own body.

"I may have to change methods; I don't want to end up with permanent scarring," I pondered as my finger ran a light trace around one of the bite marks. They would disappear in a day.

"True, but isn't it better to bite yourself rather than them," Tanya commented, and I nodded as I lounged back against the sofa and she picked up the remote for the music system.

"I guess you could try a pillow, but the idea of all those feathers." Her pretty face scrunched up as she scrolled through the thousands of songs in the collection.

As she selected a classical tune I felt myself relax and drift back to the first time I ever met Tanya Denali.

16th May2042, Jackson.

This immortal life was all about speed. How fast you could make the time pass. How quickly you could act on your senses. How swiftly you could execute your prey. It was one of the highlights of being locked in this body, the speed it could exert in its existence.