Chapter 13: The light

******

Three days later...

Genevieve arrived in the morning, placed a thin necklace across all the girl's necks. 

She said that as long they wear it every day, their powers would be suppressed.

Maria- Will it hurt them?

Genevieve- No it will not but when they are ready. I could help them begin their practices.

Thomas- Well, thank you so much for your help. I don't know how we could repay you.

Genevieve- No payment is needed, It is my pleasure. Cassandra has always been a good friend to me, I can see why she cares for your family. Maria, if you need anything do not hesitate. 

Maria-(smiles) Thank you truly for everything.

Genevieve- Anything for a friend.

She gives me a hug before leaving, closing the front door behind her.

I look back at Thomas who had a puzzled and concerned face.

Maria- What do we do now, with the girls?

Thomas- Hope that they will be ready when they can use their powers, we raise them as normal as possible.

Maria- I think we are past giving them anything normal. What we are is far from it. We cannot hide what we are.

Thomas- You're right, we can't.

Cassandra holds my hand, giving me a reassuring look.

Cassandra- So my brother and I were discussing something, and we both agree that your family is welcome to stay with us, permanently

Cassandra- So my brother and I were discussing something, and we both agree that your family is welcome to stay with us, permanently. If it is what you what, Maria and Thomas.

Thomas- It is more than generous of you to let us stay here in your home. We couldn't ask this of you.

Cassandra- We have plenty of rooms in this empty house. 

Maria- Are you sure of this, my friend I wouldn't want to burden you with this?

Cassandra- You and your family will never be a burden to us, ever. 

I look to Thomas then Aidan who stood in the corner quietly, giving me a nod.

Maria- Okay.

****

Cassandra and I spent the day, picking out all the girl's rooms and decorating. All the rooms had big windows looking out to the fields, it had a beautiful Italian style detailing that reminded me of home. 

After finishing the rooms, we took the girls outside and ate lunch in the meadow.

I laid out on the grass with the girls, smiling softly at them.

Thomas soon walked outside to where we were sitting and joined us.

He picks up Isabella, holding her closely, swaying her back and forth.

I smile back, content as I haven't felt so calm in such a long time.

We've spent so much time worrying about us, now I feel we can begin to start a life here.

Thomas-(smiles) This is going to be good for us. 

Maria-A simple life.

***

I had asked Thomas, Cass, and Aidan to join me in the living room.

Cassandra- Maria, you asked us to gather here?

Maria- Yes, I've asked you to come because If we are staying here. We should talk about how we'll raise the girls. They are my responsibility but if we stay they will be all of ours. 

Thomas- Yes, I agree. We need rules. My sisters are human and we are not, obviously.

Aidan- You have a point, they will be our responsibly too. Cass?

Cassandra- Okay, I think first we need to establish a first rule, no feeding near the girls. Not in the house and no killing as well.

Maria- Yes, I agree. I do not want them to see any of that. I decided that I will start feeding on animals occasionally so I can grow accustomed to it. 

Aidan- I swear to you, I will not feed in the area. The town over is the safest bet.

Thomas-Mother, what about letting them know we are vampires? People talk in town about what we are and it won't be easy to hide it from them.

Maria- Yes I know, When they are old enough I will explain to them what we are. As much as I want to shelter them, I cannot hide what we are and what they are.

Cassandra- Fair point, now what about the girl's schooling? We could get a tutor or teach them ourselves. Even though the town is okay with what we are, I am not sure they will accept them if we put them with the other children.

I looked at Thomas, with a concerned expression. Sighing softly before looking back at Cass and Aidan.

Maria-Maybe teaching them at home would be best. But we have to be more involved with the town, I think if we shut ourselves from them it would make us stand out too much. Make ourselves as normal as possible. Go to church, make friends, be apart of the community but I do not want to hide them from the world.

They all nod along, agreeing to what I said.

Cassandra-(smiles) We are a family now. We will do this together. Always.

Thomas- We will make it up as we go together.

Maria-(grins) Together.

I held Thomas' hand, Cassandra reaches out for mines holding it tightly. 

I smile back at them, then to Aidan who grins back affectionately.

****