Chapter 34: Bare the Mark

*****

Juliette quickly wrote down all that she knew of werewolves on pieces of parchment, binding them together to give to Amara. She needed to know as much as she could before seeking out a werewolf. Juliette tried to persuade her to change her mind, but Amara was determined to find out the truth of who she truly was.

Amara walked out of the front door of the bookshop, shielding her face with her hood to avoid anyone seeing her leave.

Like a sudden gush of wind, someone collided with her, causing her to drop her papers onto the dirt cobblestones.  Both her and the stranger groan in pain after bumping heads. Amara quickly tries to retrieve her papers before anyone could make out the words.  

Her hand brushing against the stranger's fingers, she quickly glances upwards to see the same stranger she met last night.

Alejandro, Amara calls out.

She lowers her hood, trying to get a better look at him. His brown curls falling to the front of his face. His eyes flicking back to hers, all around them goes silent as they gazed deeply at one another.

Amara holds her breath, her fingers still touching Alejandro's. Finally, his eyes shift back to the pieces of parchment that laid on the dirt ground.

With his right hand, he sweeps away the soil that coated the pages. He reaches for her hand, grasping his tightly as he helps her to her feet.

Amara wipes off the dust on her gown and thanks him kindly for helping her. He smiles before finally speaking up.

"Amara, forgive me for I was not looking", Alejandro says.

Amara explains, "It is quite alright, neither was I. How are you?"

Alejandro grins. " Better now, I was on my way to work. And you? "

"Better than I feel, my head not so much. It still aches from last night," Amara exclaims.

Alejandro laughs. " I suppose it would, drink has that effect on most, especially those of your size."

Amara scoffs. " Do not tease me, Alejandro. We have only just met."

Alejandro grins. " Wouldn't want to get on your bad side, especially that sister of yours either? I believe Isabella, was it not."

"Ah, you remembered. Yes, it is Isabella, I would suggest on not angering her. She can be quite unpleasant." Amara laughs.

Alejandro says, " I trust your judgment, Amara. I'm glad to see that you are well. Are you on your own today?"

Amara smiles." Today I am yes, I decided to go on a scroll in town to clear my head."

" If you do not mind, might I join you. I was just on my way to work." Alejandro says.

Amara speaks," I do not want to take you away from your work."

Alejandro says, " It is no trouble at all. It'd be nice to have another person's company."

She hesitates before eventually agreeing to walk with him.

Amara says, "Well, if you insist, I suppose it won't be so bad. I am often on my own."