Chapter 9: Jackson

*****

Cassandra and I walked back to the house after Aidan went inside. We sat outside on the porch, sipping on fresh lemonade.

We talked more about our lives, and I asked her about her childhood. 

I could hear two different sets of steps coming down the stairs.  I see both Thomas and Aidan stubble out of the front door, roughhousing.

Aidan playfully wrapped his arm around Thomas' head, his hand messing up my son's hair.

Both Cassandra and I giggle as we watch Thomas try to worm his way out of Aidan's grip.

Thomas manages to get out, he shoves him before speeding off to one of the vacant chairs on the porch.

Thomas-(laughs) I surrender!

Aidan rakes his hand through his freshly washed hair, taking the seat across from mine.

I noticed he'd bathed and changed, his complexion no longer covered with sweat and grime. 

Aidan-(laughs) A fair fight. I suppose I win this one!

Cassandra-(laughs) The two of you are older than me yet still managed to act like boys.

Both of them laughing, I giggle as I attempt to fix Thomas's hair with my fingers.

Thomas blushes and lightly pushes my hand away in embarrassment. I playfully laugh before pinching his cheek.

Cassandra-(laughs) So tell me, Maria, how was Thomas like as a boy? I can imagine he hasn't changed much.

Maria-(smiles) Yes, he really hasn't changed much at all. He was such an imaginative, kind, and clever boy. 

Cassandra- How adorable! Do you mind my saying but you both look so young? 

Aidan- Cassandra, you can be so blunt at times.

Maria- No its alright, I was eighteen when I found Thomas. I saw him playing in the street, something about him reminded me of when I was little. He was so innocent and kind, he didn't deserve to live like that. In that instant, I decided he would become a part of my family.

Thomas- I had no family, no money, and no home. I'd probably be left for dead if she hadn't come and saved me. I am very lucky.

Cassandra- That's truly beautiful, you're very lucky to have a mother like her.

I smiled shyly before squeezing Thomas's hand affectionately. 

I hear one of the girls cry, Thomas tries to get up to go check up on them but I get up instead.

Maria- Sorry I have to excuse myself, I have to go check up on the girls.

Both Aidan and Thomas standing as I get up, I quickly excuse myself and go upstairs.

I run-up to the room, I change the girls and feed them. I bathe and change into one of my sundresses before going back downstairs.

I walk to the kitchen and pour myself a drink before going outside.

I walked around back, sit down in the field and watch the evening sky as the colors fade away.

I watched as the moon rose high in the sky, I feel heat radiating throughout my body like the night the girls were born.

I look down and see my hands glowing red, I scream out in pain as I press my hands in the ground. I feel my body float in the air.

My eyes closing and opening as I see visions of my past.

I hear a voice call out my name.

I see visions of katherine.