Chapter 36:Behind her eyes

*****

Amara avoided Alejandro all she could whenever her family had visited town, which they often did. She would take a quick glance at him as he worked before he would notice her gaze. Between training and working in his trade, Alejandro had little to no time for anything else.

He would see Amara walk by in town, either to visit her sisters or go into the book shop.

She must certainly love reading to go so often in that shop, Alejandro thought.

Alejandro noticed how Amara wandered on her own quite often, something in him always kept his mind on her.

How mysterious she was, highly guarded with her emotions. He could sense she kept much to herself. 

As He banged his tools onto the hot steel in his hands, he feels as though someone was looking at him.

He looks up after a moment setting his tools aside, and sees the back of a woman's head.

He recognized that fiery shade of red anywhere, it was Amara.

The light illuminating her reddish wavy locks as the wind gently blew through them, Alejandro drinking in every detail of her hair as if it were the first time. How her hair flowed as she walked and glistened as the sun's rays shined on it.

He walks steadily behind her, calling out her name to get her attention.

Amara hears Alejandro, letting out a soft groan in frustration knowing she had failed in trying to hide from him.

She turned to face him, softly smiling at him as he approached. Alejandro rubs his hands nervously across his already dirty covering, trying to quickly remove any grim that may still be on them.

He grins as he stands in front of her. A week has gone by since they have last spoken. Alejandro could sense something was off between them like Amara was trying to keep her distance.

But why? He wondered.

" Amara," Alejandro grins.

"Alejandro, nice to see you as always but my friend is expecting me," Amara says with a fake grin.

Before Amara could turn and walk away, Alejandro grabbed hold of her arm. Amara shocked by his touch, his fingers grazing her freckled skin.

"Alejandro... What are you doing?" Amara gasps.

" Why are you ignoring me?" Alejandro says with a smirk.

Amara is taken aback by his bluntness, seeing him so annoyed with her.

" I am not ignoring you, I have just been busy is all," Amara says trying to hide her emotions behind a fake smile.

Alejandro scoffs before pulling her closer by the arm, his grip still strong but gentle.

"You're lying, I know it. How would you explain you running away from me when I called?" Alejandro says.

Amara cowers back as she feels his breath on her skin, the intense gaze he had on her making her even more anxious. Amara looks into his warm eyes, seeing that he desperately yearned for an answer to his question.