14. Good enough

~You gave me hope~

Ayaan had just tried to chuck a pancake on naina's plate but it ended up on her face.

"AYAAN" she screamed as he laughed.

"SORRY" he screamed back trying to contain his laughter.

It was almost a month later after they had almost broken up. They were trying to mend something broken. There had to be a quick fix but sadly, there wasn't. They both had moved on from the fight but somewhere, they lost a lot of hope.

Half the time all they wondered was if they were better just as best friends. Yes, they had and amazing time in there relationship but that time was slowly just slipping out of grasp and all the were doing was holding onto something that was ebbing away, just trying to buy more time.

"Pass me some honey"

"I'm scared" he said

"About the result??" She asked

"It's today. The day is here."

She smiled warmly at Ayaan and kissed his cheek. All Ayaan wanted was this, her.

But he had still not told her that he was in love. He was scared about this too. He was just scared about many things this time.

"Let's just wait till the phone call. What's the point of fretting over something you can't do anything about anymore. Hmm?"

He nodded his head and tucked into his pancakes and as soon as he did he spat it out.

"Don't eat them! I put salt instead of sugar!"

.....

They all were sprawled on the couch in Rohit and Tanya's flat.

"Can we order pizza?" Rohit whined.

"No fatty!" Virat screamed.

"WHY NOT?"

"BECAUSE IM SCARED"

"What has that got to do with anything at all?" Rohit reasoned.

"Because then I'll over-eat and feel even more bad and then it will be guilt And me being scared and that's a lot of emotions!" Ayaan tried to justify.

"ARE YOU INSANE?" Rohit screamed.

Tanya and Naina just rolled their eyes at the boys and went into the kitchen to grab themselves something to drink and ease the headache their boyfriends had given them.

"So how are things between you and Ayaan?" Tanya asked her

"I.... I don't know. It's like we are holding onto something that doesn't exist anymore."

"If it doesn't exist why aren't you breaking up with him? If you're still here, obviously there is something na?"

"I don't want to hurt him!"

"You are probably going to hurt him more if you lie about your feelings."

"I am not lying.... I am just...."

"Hiding them? Good enough a reason to be honest nush!"

"I like him. A lot. But it's almost a month over a year into the relationship and I don't know if I love him. He's amazing. He's perfect. But I don't know. I just don't love him and I don't know if I want to hold onto him. It's unfair for him not move on. Find someone better. Maybe we were best being best friends.Am I making sense?"

"You are. But at the same time, you're being ironic. He was never just your best friend."

"I know. I'll work it out. I just need time"

Tanya seemed to be a little annoyed with Naina too. Naina was so confused that she was hurting people around her without even knowing. But Naina felt as if no one wanted to understand how she felt either.

"Girls! THE MAIL IS HERE!" Rohit screamed.

Naina's heart erupted into a thousand beats per second as she ran into the hall to be besides Ayaan but she constantly was thinking about what Tanya just said.

"You read it!" Ayaan commanded Rohit.

" To Mr ayaan Khanna ......"

"WHAT DOES IT SAY" Ayaan screamed at Rohit since he stopped reading it out loud and read it in his mind.

"YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED. OH MY GOD. MY BROTHERS A PART OF THE TEAM." Rohit was jumping up and down whereas it took Ayaan a Couple of minutes to sink in the information but when it did he jumped up and down with all three of his best friends.

"I HAVE BEEN SELECTED. LETS CALL MUMMA!"
He screamed.

......

Naina and Ayaan had reached their home around 2 in the morning but they were as fresh and aware as they could be.

"Ayaan. I need to talk!" Naina said.

"Yeah?"

"We both have been selected in our respective careers. We both are on track now. Tell me one thing, do you really feel we should be dragging this relationship on anymore?"

Ayaan's heart just cracked a little but he stayed quiet.

"This relationship, at least right now and according to me, doesn't have a healthy future. I am sure we both don't want to enter this new part of our life with each other. Don't get me wrong. You're my best friend. I want you in my life obviously but not as my boyfriend and I'm pretty sure with all the attention you'll be getting you don't want me around as your girlfriend either!" She was smiling a little as she joked.

It hurt her. To know that Ayaan was going to move on with someone else but that time, she felt as if it was the best thing to do, for both of them. She liked him so so much. But she didn't want Ayaan to feel that she was holding him back, Like he did a month ago. She wanted him to be happy and she felt as if he would be way happier if she wasn't in his life as much as she was now.

Ayaan struggled to get words out of his mouth. He was already hurting. He just moved his head in a confused way. He thought they were getting better. How did your not see this coming. The worst thing that could happen, happened. She thought he was agreeing to her.

"I am so happy. You're my best friend. I am glad we broke up on a happy note because I still need you in my life. I couldn't have one where you aren't in it!" She hugged him. Ayaan hugged her back. Not wanting to let her go but not having an alternate choice either.

He wasn't lying. He was just hiding something and that was a good enough reason to call it lying ;
he loved her but she didn't even know.