"Stop embarrassing him, mom!" Calix growled, seeing how upset Kegan looked.

Jolene turned and saw the red on Kegan's face and instantly began to apologize. "Honey! I didn't realize that was a soft point for you!" she cooed, pulling Kegan into a hug.

"It's okay, Lun- I mean, Jolene," Kegan said, returning the hug weakly. "I understand I'm not what you want your son's mate to be."

Jolene pulled away in shock. "No, that's not it! You're our son's mate, and you are perfect for him, meaning you're perfect for our pack and a strong Omega!" she said firmly, before walking to the fridge and pulling out ingredients. "Calix, your father is waiting for you in the study. You can take your mate with you, I'm sure Jonas will want to meet him."

Kegan nearly fell to his knees and curled up at the prospect of meeting the Alpha, but Calix walked over to him and steadied him before he could.

"Don't worry, love," Calix murmured, touching his nose to Kegan's forehead. "My dad is not someone to be afraid of. He looks intimidating but he is one of kindest and most respected Alphas in America."

Kegan just nodded, fearing that if he tried to speak, all that would come out was a whimper. He rested his head on Calix as he was ushered down a hallway to an office door, but suddenly all he could think of was his Alpha at the Red Claw pack.

The last time he'd been in an office, he was given to another Alpha as a breeding tool. That thought made Kegan stop dead in his tracks, fear radiating off of him as he pulled away from Calix's grip.

"Kegan?" Calix asked, confused by Kegan's sudden pull away. He knew that Kegan was nervous, but he now seemed downright terrified. "Talk to me, love."

"I c-can't go in there," Kegan whimpered, but it sounded more like a plea as he backed himself against the wall of the hallway they were in. "Please don't make me."

Jade was crying inside Kegan's head, the memory of being forced to lose their innocence at the hands of someone who wasn't their Alpha burning in his mind.

Kegan couldn't help the tears that fell down his face. "Please don't make me stay here, Alpha," he begged, falling to his butt and curling in on himself.

Calix bent down in worry when the office door opened, his father sticking his head out in confusion.

"What's going on?" he demanded, the voice only making Kegan whimper and sob harder. "Calix?"

"Can I push our meeting?" Calix asked, lifting up his mate. "My mate needs me right now."

Jonas, the Alpha of the Blood Moon pack, nodded and set his hand on his son's shoulder. "I'll stop by the pack house tomorrow morning. We just have to discuss the raid you conducted and what will happen with Tan."

Calix nodded, still holding his sobbing mate, and left for the pack house. He knew his mother wanted an explanation, but he just gave her a pleading look and she allowed him to leave, a sad gaze on her face.

The night was young and warm, so it wasn't a struggle to walk back to the pack house as it would be had it been freezing or raining.

As soon as the pair got inside, Calix carried Kegan to his room, the remnants of his nest all over the bed. Calix laid the Omega down and watched as he pushed all of the clothes off of the bed, except for one of Calix's shirts, which he pressed to his nose.

"Kegan?" Calix asked, making Kegan glance over at him.

"Yes, Alpha?" Kegan asked, resorting back to his instinct to protect himself and weakly obey the Alpha in the room.

Calix sat down on the bed, keeping his distance. "What happened?" he asked, hoping to get an answer.

The only response he received was Kegan's crumbling face and the sound of muffled sobs taking over the room.

"Pin him down and scent him!" Zakai ordered, hating that they were watching their mate cry without attempting to comfort him.

Calix growled at his wolf. "Not everything has to be about sex! Do you not see our mate sobbing?!" he snapped back, angry with his wolf's desperation to hold and mark their mate.

Zakai growled back. "It's not about sex! Scenting can calm down distraught pups and wolves who are panicking, especially if it's their mate. Jade's not responding to me, so we need to trust instinct."

Calix sighed, before deciding to trust his wolf. He crawled toward Kegan, pulling his shirt from the Omega's grasp, before throwing it to the side.

Kegan whimpered at the loss of his comfort item, before relaxing when Calix gently gripped the back of his neck.

Grabbing the back of an Omega's neck harshly forced could knock them out and force submission, but gently holding it offered comfort if it was done by a mate or trusted pack member.

"Lay down, love," Calix murmured, helping Kegan to rest on his back and climbing over him. "Tell me if you want me to stop, okay? This isn't supposed to be scary. I'm trying to help you calm down."

Kegan nodded slowly, but he had a glazed over look in his eyes which made Calix wonder if Kegan or Jade was in control and whether or not his words were heard.

Calix lowered his nose to Kegan's neck and pressed into the scent glands, relishing in the sweet scent of his mate. Then, he rubbed his scent glands on his wrists and neck all over Kegan's neck and clothes, drenching the boy in his scent.

By the time he'd finished, Kegan was asleep, exhausted from crying and relaxed by the feeling of his mate scenting him.

Scenting was a big sign of acceptance, and it seemed to have calmed Kegan down, making Calix thank Zakai for his input.

"I told you," Zakai said, yawning in Calix's mind. "Now rest while you can. We don't know if our mate will wake up and panic, so you must sleep while you can."

Calix followed his wolf's advice, pulling Kegan tight to his chest and closing his eyes, allowing the darkness of his mind to swallow him.