29. Waiting Below

[Shawn's POV]

 I wake up with Camila in my arms once again, just like it has happened in these last three months. She was passed out when I carried her from the beach last night, but she still managed to wake up for a shower before sleeping for good.

I enjoy the most I can of this moment, trying to memorize every little detail about her. This time around, however, I know I'll get to see her and hold her in my arms again very soon. Our goodbye is way less sad and dramatic than the one we shared last year, this one is full of hope. I kiss her lips tenderly and I feel her smiling against my lips before we finally pull away and go our separate ways.

 Being back in San Francisco feels odd because I know I'm leaving again in a week for New Haven. I just said goodbye to Camila and I'm already dying to see her again. As soon as I settle my suitcase down in my bedroom, I hear my phone ringing, and when I look at the screen I see Camila's name.

 " Hey, miss me already?" I ask laying down on my bed.

 " Maybe…" She says on the other line and I can tell she's smiling by her tone of voice. " I just wanted to hear your voice for a second."

 " You just heard my voice like eight hours ago." I say teasing her.

 " I know, but that was a long time ago." She says laughing. " I can't wait to see you again."

 " Me too." I say yawning.

 " I'm sorry, you're tired of driving for that long." She says in a guilty tone of voice. " I'll just go and let you take some rest."

 " Okay. I love you, Mila."

 " Love you too, bye." She says before ending the call.

 Next thing I know I'm waking up the next morning with the same clothes on, I probably fell asleep right after the call from how tired I was. I use this week back home to hang out with some friends and also spend time with my sister when she's not at school. I call Camila every night and we also text during the whole day, which makes me even more excited to see her again once we're both in college. She's super excited about moving out, but also freaking out, which I totally understand. She's going to New York three days before her classes start so she can settle in, organize all her stuff and meet her roommate. Coincidentally, our classes start in the same day, but I'm supposed to go to Yale only the day before.

 When it's finally time for me to go, my mom and Aaliyah go to the airport with me, but my dad is working like he always is. I'm flying to Yale because my car is already there, since it would be too long of a drive. I decided to go back a day before what I would originally, and when I finally get there I meet my dorm room empty. My roommate hasn't arrived yet, which gives more peace of mind since he's not really the best person to deal with. I lay down and call Camila, knowing she's already in New York.

 " Hey." She says with a sleep voice.

 " Hi, did I wake you?" I ask feeling a little guilty.

 " Yes, but I love being woken up by you." She says yawning on the other line. " I finally finished organizing all of my things, so I was just taking a nap."

 " Have you met your roommate?" I ask curiously, since yesterday she said the other girl hadn't arrived yet.

 " I just did! Her name is Hailee and she's great." She says excitedly. " I was scared we wouldn't get along, but she's really nice."

 She keeps telling me everything about her new roommate and how nervous she is for the actual classes. We talk for almost an hour, until she falls asleep in the middle of the conversation, making me laugh. She must be really tired, so I just end the call and let her rest. I also get some sleep myself and when I wake up, I have this crazy idea in my mind. That's probably the most spontaneous thing I've ever done, but I just have to. I get up, take the keys to my car and just drive to where I want to be in this moment.

[Flashback]

 Zayn has Aaliyah on his back as we stand in the water because the waves are a little more aggressive today. The cold water hits us with strength and I can see Camila struggling to keep her head above the water. I always forget she's just as short as Aaliyah, even though she's just a year younger than me.

 As I look at her I notice how she's about to be drowned by a small wave, so I quickly hold her by the waist and lift her up. If I took one more second, she would have been drowning by now. I hold her next to me and as she looks down at me it's like the world stops for a few seconds.

Her dark brown eyes look surprised by my actions as her wet hair is all over her face. I always thought she was beautiful, but there's something about looking at her from so upclose that seems to hypnotize me. The way her pink plump lips match her blushing cheeks makes me feel things I never felt before. I find myself somehow wanting to kiss her and as she moves her hair out of her face, I unintentionally hold her closer to my body. She puts her hands on my shoulders for support when I hear Aaliyah's voice in the back, making me get out of my trance.

 " Thanks." I hear Camila's voice as I let her go.

 I try to say something but all I can think about is that I almost kissed her in front of Zayn and Aaliyah. I can't seem to get the sight of her perfect lips out of my head from now on, and that confuses me even more. Zayn would always make fun of me when we were younger saying I had a crush on his sister, just because I once said she was beautiful. I would brush it off, but somehow I find myself now believing on what I've been trying to deny.

[End of the flashback]

I smile at the memory that just made its way to my mind as I drive. That was the first time I admited to myself that I fekt something for Camila, even if I didn't know exactly what that was.

The one hour and a half seem to go by pretty fast as I finally arrive at my destiny, however I take more time inside the city than I expect because of the traffic. Now I get why people don't like to drive in New York and mainly use public transportation, but it's worth it if I get to see her.