Chapter 18: Returning For A Wedding

https://data.whicdn.com/images/22986156/original.gif.

-----ONE YEAR LATER-----

"You don't have to make a fuss," I found myself laughing at Charlie's behavior, the recently fluffed cushions consistently being stood upright as an array of my favorite snacks decorated the coffee table.

"I just want you to be comfortable," he shrugged the matter off, trying to hide the joy and relief in his eyes through the casualness in his demeanor. "So, how was it?"

"Amazing," I couldn't hold back the awe in my tone. "We spent the first six months hitting every major city in Europe--from Moscow to London, it was beautiful..."

"And the last six months?"

"We had a little tourist moment through all 50 states," I smiled in memory--"Our last stop was to see Mom, and then three weeks later I'm home. I missed it so much--the atmosphere, the people." I squeezed his knee with a grin before tidying away the food I had eaten.

"I saved your postcards like you asked--" I handed him another beer with the reveal.

"That's great, thanks!" I couldn't stop the giddy bubbling over adding to my scrapbook.

"Any other good news or stories to share?" The comfortable silence was disturbed by Charlie's curiosity.

"I've officially enrolled in an online college and been accepted for September," a new wave of excitement was thrown over me at the sight of pride flushing his features.

"Well that's great, Bell's...that's just--" he seemed to pause, myself confused until he set his beer aside to pull me into a hug. I was shocked, but the momentary discombobulation toward his affection shrank instantly so I could reciprocate the action..."I missed you, Bell's..."

My cheeks hurt from smiling so wide, "I missed you too, dad..."

The sound of knocks disturbed the moment, Charlie pulling back with a frown before checking his watch--"Who'd be visiting this early?"

"It's probably, Jake," I shrugged, "I told him when I was coming back and suggested we should get together for a catch-up at some point." Dusting down my jeans I made my way to the door, my brows pulling together at the vampire present. "Edward? Did we plan something this morning?"

His smile seemed to widen, "No."

My frown deepened, "Not that I'm not happy to see you--but why are you here?"

"I came to talk to Charlie, actually--" the door was opened further with the immortals' words, the town Sheriff standing straighter in the presence of my boyfriend.

"Why?" Came my dads' stiff response.

"I have an important question to ask you, sir..."

My confusion only seemed to increase at the sight of Charlie's shoulders tensing--"Go on up to your room, Bells. I'll call you down when we're done."

"Okaaayyy?" I followed the instructions, completely clueless as to why my assumption of a p!$$!ng contest needed to be private.

-----ONE MONTH LATER-----

My ankles complained immensely as I scraped my feet across the Cullens back steps, cringing the entire journey when I noticed the judging look in Alice's eyes--"Um..." I tried to hide my smile as Alice struggled to find reassuring words, "You just have to break them in."

"I've been breaking them in." I reminded her, "For over a week. Can't I just go barefoot?" I batted my lashes, hoping Alice would find my attempted puppy-dog eyes worthy of her sympathy.