Chapter 6: Smushed Expectations

http://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3qxvnAQsy1qh5dr8o1_500.gif.

"Arizona. Yo, what's up?" the welcoming voice of 'Mike' forced me from my daydream, my thoughts barely unable to think of anything but 'Edward' since he invited me to his house a couple of days ago--"So, you-you and Cullen, huh?" I exited my truck with clunky movements, "That's...I don't like it--heh. I mean, I don't know, he-he just looks at you like you're something to eat."

I turned away from the boys' concerns, 'If only you knew Mike...If only you knew...'...My mouth gave a momentary drop, my eyes widening when they caught the sight of Stephenie Meyer actually sitting just a few feet from me, just casually chilling on her laptop and eating her veggie plate. Now, that's a weird sight..."Bella?" a confused voice caught my attention.

"Sorry," I apologized to 'Charlie' before slipping into Bella's usual seat, "I guess I'm a little distracted--Sorry, I'm late. Biology project..." I pushed some hair behind my ear, my eyes shooting the Author in my dreamland the odd glance before 'Charlie' spoke up again.

"I ordered you the spinach salad, I hope that's okay."

"Fine," I shrugged as our plates arrived, "We could even match next time."

"Hey, I'm as healthy as a horse."

"I'm not denying it," I promised, "I just want to keep you at your peak game," was my simple reasoning for the suggestion before I filled my mouth with a small helping of the rabbit food.

"Say, Cheif, boys want to know..." 'Cora's' hovering made me pause, "Did you find anything down by Queets River today?"

'Charlie' sighed, noticing other's were listening in but realizing he'd have to share his findings anyway--"Yeah, we found a bare human footprint, but it looks like whoever that is, is headed East--So, Kitsap County Sheriff is gonna take over from here."

"Okay..."

"Okay?"

"I just hope they catch him fast," 'Cora' admitted as chatter returned to the establishment, the waitress continuing to hide behind her counter as I moved forward with my meal.

"Looks like your friends are flagging you," I turned to find 'Mike' humping a bush, a strangled cough leaving my throat as I laughed. "It's okay if you wanna go join them. I'm just gonna turn in early anyway."

"Me, too," I agreed, my palms sweating with the thought.

"Bella, it's Friday night. Go out. Looks like the Newton boy's got a big smile for you..."

"Yeah, he's a good buddy," friendzone activated.

"What about any of these other yahoos in town?" 'Charlie' sighed, "Anybody interest you?"

"Dad, we gonna talk about boys?" I raised a brow as we shared a smile.

"Yeah, I guess not. I just, umm--I feel like I leave you alone too much. You should be around people," he motioned wildly with his hands.

"I like being on my own. It's peaceful," I shrugged, "I guess it's like Father like Daughter that way," he seemed to nod in agreement with my offer, the conversation ceasing as only the clanking of our cutlery reached my ears--my eyes continuing to go unfocused as they were drawn to the back of the amazing woman who created this Nirvana in the first place...

-----COUPLE OF DAYS LATER-----

PHONE CONVERSATION

B- So, how's all the baseball stuff going?

R- Ohhh, Phil's working so hard. (My 'Mother' Cooed Before A Faint 'Clang' Sounded) You know, Spring training. We're looking for a house to rent in case things become more permanent. You'd like Jacksonville, baby.