Chapter 38:Written in the stars

Start from the beginning

Leslie ventured over to the black KIA Sorento unlocked the door, climbed in closing the door driving out heading into Rome. Glancing back into the rearview to see if she had anyone tailing her? So far it looked good, she thought. She wondered if she was meant to the map and the church of St Leslie or she was a legend?

Parking a couple of streets down from Plaza Malt Leslie to walk the rest of the way. The cobblestone sidewalks were crowded with people sauntering everywhere, enjoying themselves. She passed by some shops and restaurants along the way, noticing that people sitting on the Spanish steps.  

Leslie ventured up to the three-story greyish brown building with the two Maltese flags and the Knights standing outside the archway into the courtyard.

"I'm Leslie de Vallette and I'm here to see Grand Master Milano," Leslie stated.

Grand Master Milano looked out the window in his office, seeing Leslie standing outside the archway where his Knights stood guard. Had his question been answered he would wonder This was the moment of the truth now. Either she would become the new Grand Mater or she wouldn't? 

He rose from where he was sitting

Walked out of his office. Venturing down the corridor strolling down the staircase into the courtyard. He gestured with his hands for the Knights to move. 

"The last time I saw you Leslie you were just a child but look at you now and here you are ready to become the next GrandMaster," GrandMaster stated.

"I have some questions that I want answers too," Leslie asked looking at the Knights.

" Yes of course, we go up to my office so where it private okay," GrandMaster Milano remarked.

Leslie followed GrandMaster Milano into the courtyard, and a sudden flash of memories flooded her mind. What was going on? She remembered coming here with her father a long time ago. Wait she thought how can that be? She had forgotten about it?

They ventured up the staircase into the corridor making their way over to the GrandMaster office and entered. Leslie looked around and it all looked so familiar to her. But she was cleaner, plain, and simple. GrandMaster Milano strolled over to his desk and sat down.

Leslie reached into her pocket pulling out the map and placed it on the desk in front of him. GrandMaster Milano picked up the map from his desk studying it closely

"I want to know why this map is important that Kenton would send some of his knights after me," Leslie exclaimed.

GrandMaster sighed before spoke.

"The Map has a hidden meaning only those who are chosen to become the GrandMaster know what it is. Let's just say it is a guide to the secretive places in Malta. Your father understood the meaning of the map after all he designed it. Kenton found and threatened a civil war within our ranks. He thinks that you are a threat because you're the granddaughter of Jean de Vallette and you will become the next Grandmaster of the Order," GrandMaster Milano replied.

"But if I don't want to be the GrandMaster of the Order plus I don't know anything about the order only that my father was a knight here," Leslie remarked.

"Leslie, Ah that's where you wrong you knew to jump off the balcony at Fort St Angelo and found the letter there with the name of the church on it. I would say that it is your blood you just don't believe in it," GrandMaster Milano replied.

" Why I am so important to the Order here can you tell me that," Leslie asked.

"Because your father risked his life to protect you from the Knights of the Hospitallers and that he promised Pope Clement V that nothing would ever happen to the Papal request and that when the time in which did you know what to do. Restoring your family history as the new Grandmaster ending this rebellion once and for all," GrandMaster Milano stated  as he got up from where he was sitting

"Listen I left Malta and my family to start my own life, then I got drawn back into it because of the letter. You need to find yourself a new Grandmaster," Leslie stated.

GrandMaster Milano slowly walked over to the window and thought about what he was going to say. He could see some of her father in her feisty determination. She reminded him so much of Raffaele, that's why he had wanted her to become the next Grandmaster.

Leslie thought back and wondered why her father brought her here for? Was there a purpose for it? Before she could even turn around she heard some footsteps approaching and saw a knight wearing a black balaclava with a High-powered Browning clutched in his grip.

"Don't even think of it this time and no I don't work for the Sandino family," The Knight demanded.

"Let me guess, you work for Kenton you're probably one of his knights," Leslie exclaimed.

"Very good Leslie," The knight snarled.

Leslie grabbed his wrist trying to snatch them violently but before he could even break them and get the pistol out of his hand. A gunshot came out of nowhere as the bullet splinted the knight head in half. The knight slowly walked in putting his Bolt action rifle on the ground.

It was the same Knight who had killed the assassins at the church of St Leslie. Now she really wanted to know who this mysterious Knight was?

"I know you saved my life two times now but you are," Leslie asked.

"I'm a friend of your father Leslie Bartolo Persico. I was one of the Resident's knights at Fort St Agnelo," The knight said in a calm voice manner.

" Bartolo You should be the new GrandMaster I'm sure it's what my father would have wanted," Leslie remarked handing him the ancient map.

Bartolo nodded at  Grandmaster Milano knowing that he had a heavy task ahead of him that was The knight of Hospitallers. He looked at Leslie seeing that she was on her journey and that was good enough or him. Leslie strolled out of the Grandmaster's office not looking back as she made her down the staircase, and out the courtyard and walked back over to Mazda 3 Sport.

She grabbed the door climbing in and closed the door driving up the Roman  streets  back to the Aiport where she  caught her flight to Malta.