Chapter 8: Panic Slushies

*Virgil POV*

Its early October now, and the air is starting to become crisp and cold, and the leaves are starting to fall. After my discovery of Jan, Logan invited me to sit with him and the others at lunch. At first, I declined, but I quickly got lonely, as I have no one else in this entire school. True, there are some Rockview kids, but they don't talk to me. I was one of the most popular kids, way out of their league. So I've gotten closer with Logan and Patton, but not so much Roman. Part of me still rejects him from all the negative stuff I've heard about him from Remus over the years.

Its lunchtime and I walk over to the Trio's table. They're already sitting there and my usual spot is taken by a girl, flirting with Logan. That annoys me for some reason. I go back to my old table, which is normally empty. I put in my earbuds and play some music to tune out the world. 

When I'm done eating there's still 5 minutes left of lunch. I leave the cafeteria and go to my locker to grab my stuff for my next classes. I've gotten all that I need out when the bell rings. I rush to my next class, Calculus, and get there before the wave of people come pouring out of the cafeteria.

School is over, I'm at my locker again. The announcements come on. I mostly ignore them, but I take note of the one announcing its Homecoming week. A few weeks ago I signed up for the school's art club, as I want to go into graphic design and stuff like that in college. I walk into the art room and set my bag down. The art teacher greets me and I take a seat at an empty table. 

The teacher explains the directions for this month. We are going to be painting a picture that makes you feel emotion. I have no idea where to start. We get out some canvases and paints and I just start painting some purples onto my canvas. I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm enjoying it. 

45 minutes later and we are dismissed. I go out to my car, as I started driving myself on Mondays and start my drive home. I decide to stop at a gas station to get a slushie. I walk in, go over to the slushie machine, grab a cup, and pick a flavor. In the next aisle over I hear someone talking. 

"I think I love you." One voice says.

They come around the corner.

"I think I love..." The voice trails off and I turn around.

What would you say the chances of it being Jan and Remus are? Well, considering my luck I'd say 99%. Guess what? I was right.

"Waffles. They're buff pancakes." Remus finishes.

I slurp on my slushie, trying to remain calm. I'm not listening to music, but I have my earbuds in. I pull one out.

"Sup guys," I say.

They both recover from their little panic attack and greet me.

"Hey, loser. Thought you were still at your club?" Jan says.

"It ended early." I lie. 

If this is their spot to be together, then I'll make sure I gather evidence of Jan cheating so I can break up with him. But I really, really don't want to. 

"Oh, ok," Jan says.

"Cya around then, I guess," I say, and then walk up to the cash register to pay.

I leave the store and drive home. I make it all the way to my room before I burst into tears. I usually don't cry, but this whole thing with Jan has taken a toll on me. What does he say about me when he's with Remus? Do they laugh at me? Make fun of me? What if he's always been cheating on me and never truly loved me? What if I did something wrong and now he hates me and that's why he's doing this? I feel a panic attack coming and I don't know what to do. I would usually call Jan and he'd help calm me down but I can't now because he's the problem. I grab my phone, sight blurred with tears, and call Logan.

*Logan*

I'm in my room, reading a book when my phone buzzes. I go to pick it up and my heart jumps when I see its Virgil. I clear my throat and excitedly answer.

"Hello, Virgil," I say.

"Logan I need help." He says.

He sounds worried.

"With what?" I ask.

He starts telling me. He's worried, stressed, panicked and confused. He saw Janus and Remus together at the store and now he is starting to overthink and over worry about his past relationship with both of them and is questioning everything about it.

"Virgil, take a deep breath and try to relax," I say, "Name five things you can see."

He does, and I lead him through the whole process. By the end of it, he's calmed down, but not completely. 

"Virgil, if staying with him is causing you this much stress, I think you should end your relationship," I suggest.

"But that's the thing, Logan. I can't. We've been together for so long, he's one of my only friends. And I don't want to lose him like I lost my friend before." Virgil says.

"What friend?" I ask.

"In middle school. I was always bullied and there was one boy who always stood up for me." He says, sniffling, "And then he disappeared. I think he moved. I never saw him again and for the rest of 8th grade, I was bullied. And then I met Jan and he protected me. Made me feel loved. I don't want to lose him."

"Virgil, you have evidence he's disloyal, and he's now causing, albeit indirectly, emotional distress. The wisest course of action is to end it with him." I say.

"I'll think about it," Virgil replies.

 He then hangs up. I sigh. I want nothing more than to yell at his boyfriend for hurting Virgil like this. I decide that I will if I ever see him. My phone buzzes again. I pick it up, hoping for a text from Virgil. My heart drops a little when I see it isn't. Its a text from Roman, inviting me to his homecoming party this Friday. I respond with a yes after checking my schedule. Now I just have to make it through this week while knowing that I won't be able to spend Friday night at the library. Last week I invited Virgil to come with me and he seemed to enjoy it. Now I can't this week. I look at the time. It's getting late so I get ready for bed, and drift off.

Ever since I met Virgil I've been having more dreams than usual. Some of them are nightmares, but tonight I enter a quiet library. I pick a book off the shelf and sit down. I look up and see Virgil through the window, with Janus. I stand up and walk outside, over to him. They keep getting farther away, and I never reach them. That's when Jan says something to him and he crumples to the ground. I reach out for him but I can't get to him. I just have to watch him in pain, while Janus hasn't a single care. 

I'm about to hit a writer's block, I can sense it. Be prepared for the possibility of only one update a day while my creativity rebuilds itself. I did another time jump for this chapter, and I'll probably have a lot of them in this story to help keep it moving along, just so you know. Anyway, I hope you are pleased with reading and feel free to leave any thoughts, theories, criticism, and anything else in the comments and have a spectacular day you magnificent peep!