ᴀɴxɪᴏᴜs ᴠɪʙᴇs || Wilderness Training

Start from the beginning

"That's really cool- Mr Murphy seems really nice" Micheal says, using two sticks as drumsticks against the table.

"Yeah he's great-" Evan stops when he sees what Micheal's doing. "That-that's not how you make a campfire. Okay you're going to break the sticks let me take them"

Evan gently takes the sticks from Micheal's hands, placing them on the table. He gathers the rocks and moves them into a circle. He places the sticks in the middle. Clearly he's trying to make a cone shape, but it keeps falling over.

"Woah how do you know how to do that?" Michael says in amazement.

Evan's face goes red again. "Oh- I- uh- I spent a whole night watching zombie movies one night when I was sick. I remember them doing something like this"

The sticks fall over again, and Evan throws his hands into the air. "Okay I give up"

"Hey, you did a better job than me" Micheal laughs.

Evan smiles shyly, embarrassed as always. "You didn't tell me why you're taking this course"

"Oh yeah- I'm going travelling in a few months before college. I'm not talking New York or Paris or landmark sights oh no. I'm going right into the wilderness. No phones, no technology. Just me and the most amazing trees" Micheals eyes sparkle with each excited word.

Evan perks up at the mention of trees. "Do you like trees?"

"I'd say I like them more than the average person, yes" Micheal says.

"Well- uh, I like trees too. A lot. If you ever need a tree guide I can totally help I know a lot about them" He offers.

Micheal grins.
"I will take you up on that. I can't wait to be impressed by all your forest expertise"

"Evan! How are you doing?"
Mr Murphy approaches their table to see how they're doing.

"Good Mr Murphy!" He says quickly, suddenly flustered.

"Please Evan, call me Larry. You're basically a part of the family at this point, I wouldn't mind if you called me dad"

Mr Murphy seems like a pretty nice guy Micheal decides.

"Now let's look at your fire, shall we?"
Mr Murphy looks at their bundle of sticks on top of the ring of rocks.

"Okay . . . you're a little confused but you got the spirit!" He says enthusiastically.

He spends the next ten minutes or so explaining how to build the fire. By the end, they have a photogenic campfire that only needs a few flames.

Their personal tutorial is cut a little short though when Mr Murphy has to run to stop a kid setting the room on fire.

"Okay but you were very close to getting it right. You're a born natural at this, man!" The excited Micheal holds up his hand for a high five.

Evan looks at it for a moment, as if he has never seen a high five before. Micheal nods him on enthusiastically. Evan cautiously gives him a high five, which Micheal follows with a loud cheer and a whoop.

The rest of the day runs smoothly, leading to more high fives and less awkward meeting-new-people tension.

By the end, all stress has deflated from Evan's shoulders. When they do leave that days class (with another high five), Evan feels along the same lines as euphoric.

His mom persuaded him to take a course in hopes that it would ease the stress of his senior year. It did even more than that. Evan May have made a friend.