Midnight Train Going Anywhere [2/2]

Someone said they'd pay me for a part two

so disclaimer, i'm writing this in one night, with no plot in mind while listening to Beetlejuice soundtrack

•••

The 2am train hasn't been empty in a while.

As holiday season hits, people need more money. To get more money, people take on extra shifts. So my carriage is full of tired family men who just think, "hey, it'll all be worth it on Christmas Day"

Someone should break it to them that it'll never be worth it.

They loosen their tight tie knot, slouching as they sip their black coffee. Their receding hairlines and tired eyes stare up at the grimy carriage ceiling. About seventeen of them each night. I gotta tell ya, they make AWFUL company. I can't believe I spent like two weeks trying to talk to these various Pauls and Teds. They just glaze over as they think about tax returns and the last time they had sex (and that was ages ago).

What felt like years of their dead company- when it actually was only a month, they all vanish. Why? Because it's Christmas Eve, babe, IIIIIIIIN THE DRUNK TANK- sorry sorry, I'm just very festive. So when I finally get on the train, it's how it should be. Empty.

The train judders to life. I'm right where I should be. Looking out the window at the falling snow. It quickly falls diagonally as the train speeds by. The city is black, making a blank backdrop for the white snowflakes. It's cold as shit on this unheated train, so I pull my red hoodie closer around me.

I pop my discount earplugs into my ears, my shaking hand opening Spotify. Okay. Moment of truth. Normal songs, or musicals? Radio Company or Book Of Mormon? The 1975 or Beetlejuice? Pillowqueens or Heathers? God I have way too many playlists. I'll just go with Christmas songs.

Shuffle. Sit back. Relax.

It's coming on Christmas
They're cutting down trees

Yes. Ben Platt. Perfect.

They're putting up reindeer
And singing songs of joy and peace

I sink into the poorly padded seat, closing my eyes. I try to fall away into my daydreams with help from my body heat.

But I can't. This worm of a thought keeps wiggling into my head. A worm of fear, and dread. This little Wiggly makes itself at home, and jerks off to telling me bad bad things. It's gonna get worse, Micheal. You're wasting your time and your life on this train, Micheal. You could be making something of yourself, Micheal, but you're throwing away your shot. And all of this is because of that stupid basket case. He's never gonna get better, Micheal. He's never gonna get better.

Oh, I wish I had a river
I could skate away on

But it's just a little Wiggly. I don't listen to that guy. I totally don't. It's just hard to expel all that when you're alone.

But it don't snow here
It stays pretty green
I'm going to make a lot of money
Then I'm going to quit this crazy scene

Wait. I'm not alone.

Oh, I wish I had a river
I could skate away on
I wish I had a river so long
I would teach my feet to fly
Oh, I wish I had a river
I could skate away on

The compartment door slides open. A person clad in the thickest coat I have ever seen is in my carriage. They close the door, noticeably shivering.

I made my baby cry
He tried hard to help me
You know, he put me at ease
And he loved me so naughty
Made me weak in the knees