CHAPTER 20: Raiden

There truly wasn't much that I had felt I needed to worry about next week and since there wasn't many really after next Wednesday's, I figured why not take her away for a weekend.

She doesn't know of course but I already had talked to Hayes and asked him if she could have that time off and after telling me that it was okay, I mentioned to him also not to tell her I talked to him.

I can't explain what this girl has been doing to me and am surprised at how fast I have let it happen to me but I have no regrets, that's for sure. In fact, I feel the happiest I have been in a very long time and happier than I thought I ever deserved to feel.

For the next few days, I was caught up in trying to prepare for an important meeting that I was about to have in several minutes. It was a very important one because I was planning on making a deal with someone that I have been trying to do business with for a couple of years now that is hard to get a meeting with.

Honestly I began to feel a little bit nervous and don't really ever get that way with any meetings but this guy was a big deal.

"Don't be so nervous." Markus tells me.

We walk into the big room and sit at the head of the long table that seated fifteen people including myself at it, but it's just me, Markus and a few of my men in here for today's meeting. While we saved the the chair on the opposite end was left available for our 'special guest'.

Finally, he comes walking in through the heavy iron made doors along with several of his men following behind him and takes a seat down in the chair at the other end of the table.

His hair was slicked back and wore a $5,000 suit of course and had a five o' clock shadow on his face and was in his late forties and used to be good friends with my father.

"Hello Giovanni." I greeted him.

"Hello Raiden." He greets back with a big smile. "I apologize for being late but I had some issues along the way." He mentions.

"It's alright." I replied.

"So, let's get down to business. I have to be leaving back to Chicago in a few hours and need to make sure I make my flight." He begins.

"Okay." I reply. "Well, the only issue I have had with this contract, are your conditions and terms. They are unrealistic if you ask me and frankly, a bit insulting."

"Yes well, Your father...." He started but I stopped him.

"Please, do me a favor and don't mention my father, especially if it has to do with you trying to compare me to him and then things that he used to do. I may have taken over his empire but still am trying to continue with his reputation but also trying to make a name for myself as well. In which I have been but please, don't mention my father." I tell him.

"I can respect that." He smirks. "However, what I wanted to mention was that your father happened to make me promise before his death that in order to make sure that his Empire and all, had stayed in tact and if I ever became partners in a project with you, that there had to be those conditions and terms."

"Then there's no deal." I tell him.

After those words came out of my mouth, both him along with everybody else, including myself even, fell silent and looked at me surprised.

"What was that?" He asks.

"As much as I appreciate your loyalty to my father throughout the years and even after he has been dead, I can not allow any of your requests to happen. I don't take too kindly neither to how untrustworthy you are acting towards me. I mean, shit, if you think I can't do it then by all means, tell me for fuck sake and don't use my father or some ridiculous promise you made to him as an excuse." I tell him.

He looks at me intently for a while until he finally sat back in the chair while glaring a little at me still while thinking about something.

"Good for you kid." He mentions with a smirk of satisfaction. "I can respect that and if you want to play with the big boys to purely create a name for yourself bigger than what you already have created then fine. I will still invest with you and become your partner. However, I want a higher cut for my share." He starts trying to negotiate.

"By how much?" I asked him.

"forty-five percent." He smiles.

"What?! No! This was my idea and we had settled on a non-negotiable percentage of thirty-seven percent." I remind him while trying to keep my cool.

"Yes well, due to you wanting to be dismissive about my requests, I believe that I should have compensation for the risks because this business deal you are wanting to make with, this man isn't like your typical mafia boss. He is even more feared than your father or me are or ever were." He states.

"If that's the case, then why agree in the first place to go in with me on it?" I ask him.

"Because like it or not, I made a promise to your father before his death in trying to make sure you don't do something stupid and if I couldn't talk you out of it, then I would have to try and do what I could to help. And obviously, since I have more of a reputation and certain connections than you do, even you have to admit that you'll need me. But like I said, the risks that I too will be taking are a little more severe and serious than yours." He finishes.

Damnit, he's right! I hate admitting that and don't want to believe it but the truth is, at the end of the day, he does have more to lose than I do and although I appreciate him wanting to protect me, the kind of percentage he is requesting is just to me, not reasonable. Yet, at the same time, I know that he just called my bluff and that I really do need him in order to do this deal and may not even get a meeting with this person without him.

Yes, I am known and have a really good reputation around the states but I know the big part of that is my father's legacy and his empire that I had taken over. So unfortunately, I have no other choice and won't make him change his mind neither.

"Alright. Forty-five percent." I make the deal with him.

He smiles, we shake on it then he leaves and once he's gone, I stand there in the room for moments longer trying to make sure I really did make the right decision or not.

"You did the right thing I think." Markus tells me while slapping his hand on my shoulder.

"I hope so." I tell him.

"I hate to agree with him but he's right you know, he has more connections for doing business with this kind of a guy." He mentions.

"Yeah. I know." I nod in agreement before we start to leave and head back to the house.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)