"Me? I'm fine. I have to wake up early tomorrow to teach surf lessons," I said, and with that, remembered who would be there. "Oh, shit," I said, putting a hand on my forehead. "I'm coming with you," He said, and I crossed my arms.

"Are you sure?" I asked, and he nodded. "Look at everything that's happened when I wasn't around," He chuckled, and I nodded in agreement. It was true, I would feel much better if JJ were to hang around.

I smiled, and before I knew it, I leaned over to hug him. He was warm, and I don't know why but I liked the feeling of being so close to him. I released him after a second, and without another word, got up to go to my room. I felt a little embarrassed, what if that was a super weird thing to do. I began to overthink like I usually did, but when I felt a hand on my arm spin me around, I snapped out of it.

Before I could register what was happening, JJ's lips were on mine. I closed my eyes and leaned into him, kissing back, but not knowing what had come over him. He literally called me 'dude' this afternoon. I was fine with that, I hated pet names and dude was chill with me, but I thought that meant we were friends and thing else.

His hand resting on the crook of my neck, his fingers tangling in my hair, and the other was on my cheek. I put my hands on the back of his neck, and the kiss continued. My head spun and I felt that little spark again, something I could get used to.

When we eventually separated, I took a deep breath. "I-" I started, but he just smiled. "Sorry, you don't know how long I've wanted to do that," He breathed, and my eyes widened. "Really?" I asked, not aware he had wanted to kiss me before right now. I remembered what he said that one night in the hammock, but I wasn't sure he was serious.

"JJ, what about the rule? No Pogue-on-Pogue macking," I reminded him, secretly not wanting it to matter. "You're a Pogue convert, it's not really the same," He said, now holding my waist. I was in heaven. Little did I know that this was what I needed. We eventually let each other go after holding on a little while longer.

I think both of us were terrified to let go, but we did. I was afraid that if I let him go, he'd take it back, and I couldn't lose anyone else. I looked up at him after we separated and he brushed my hair behind my ear with his right hand. "I had to do that, at least once," He said, and I smiled.

"I liked it," I said, and his grin only grew. He looked at the ceiling still wearing his smile, and it seemed as if he was embarrassed, but it was cute. "J, don't sleep out here tonight. I have a bed and I feel bad you're on the couch so much," I said, and he gave me a pointed look.

"Fucking gutter brains, just to sleep," I groaned with a slight giggle, and he scratched the back of his head with a laugh. "I know, I know. Thanks," He said, and he went into the bathroom to change and finish getting ready for bed. He came back with grey sweatpants on and no shirt, and holy shit, I thought I was pregnant right then and there.

"Night, JJ," I said, rolling over so he couldn't see the blush creeping onto my face. I heard his signature soft laugh and felt the bed dip ever so slightly as he laid down next to me. I didn't know what to do at this point, so I just stayed where I was, my back facing him.

Soon, though, as I slipped into a deep sleep, I felt an arm around my waist and I smiled to myself. This felt good, it felt safe. I fell asleep comfortably that night, having JJ's warmth to lull me unconscious, and I slept through the night. No nightmare this time.

In the morning, JJ was still asleep, and I had rolled over in the night, my body resting on his own. My eyes flew open wide at the compromising position we were in and I carefully removed myself from his grip, his large arm slung around me.

I didn't want to get up, but I had to. After grabbing some clothes, I went out to the bathroom and got ready for the day, brushing my teeth and washing my face. I slipped into the black athletic shorts and olive green tank top I had brought with me, and I adjusted the necklaces I slept in. I put in a pair of simple earrings, something I rarely did, but I felt like it today.

I braided my hair down my back and tied it with a small rubber band I had left on the side of the sink, and when I was done, I went into the kitchen, bumping into a disheveled looking John B. "How'd you sleep?" I asked, and he shook his head. "I didn't," He replied with a half-hearted chuckle.

He looked tired, so that was understandable. "Thinking about your dad, huh?" I nudged, and he nodded. "It's hard not to. Everything I thought I knew changed. This changes everything," He said, and I understood. I knew what it was like for things to change and for you to have no control over it.

"I get it, but obviously not entirely. What are we doing today?" I asked, and he filled me in on his plan to go to the Kook club on the other side of the island to use the computers in their internet cafe. We were still down for power and it was our only way of doing research. "Where's JJ?" John B. asked, and I froze, not sure what to say.

"He, uh, I don't actually know," I said, but it couldn't have been timed worse. JJ came out of my room right when I said that, still shirtless, and walked over to us, leaning on the counter. "Morning, kemosabe," He said to us, and John B. looked like he was holding back a laugh.

"Don't say a word," I said, burying my face in my hands. "Wait, let me get this straight. You two are... what, a thing now?" He asked, and I shot him a look that could've killed. "No, we didn't like, fuck, relax you fucking perv, I just felt bad that he was on the couch," I said.

"Ahh," John B. said, feigning realization. He still didn't look convinced and wore the same amused grin he had since JJ had come out of my room. "Yeah, after we kissed last night," JJ said, looking down but still grinning.

My mouth dropped open as JB began to laugh, and slapped JJ in the nuts. Not hard enough to really hurt him, but enough to shut him up for the time being. "You're so juvenile," I said, trying to hold back a laugh coming up my own throat. I needed to look serious, but it wasn't working.

"You," I said, pointing at John B., ", not a word of this to anyone. I swear to god, I will maim you." It was a promise, I would hurt him violently if this slipped earlier than I wanted to. "Yeah, I don't doubt that. I'll keep her shut," He said, pretending to zip his lips.

I nodded and turned around and looked at JJ now, and he looked like he was trying so hard not to laugh again, and I scoffed, "And you. I'm not part of a pissing competition, don't brag," I said, and he smiled, looking at the ground.

"Sorry," He said, and I shook my head with a smile. "It's fine. Time to rally boys, I have shit to do," I concluded and then got ready to leave. JJ was still coming with me to the surf lessons, so we borrowed the van and drove it down to the beach where I'd be teaching.

When we got out, I already wanted to go back home. Everyone was there, including Rafe, but I held my head high. There was no way in hell he was going to bother me ever again, not if I could help it. When we arrived, they all looked up, Rafe looking at me like I was a piece of meat. Suddenly I regretted wearing the tight tank top and shorts, but I mentally shrugged.

I liked the shirt. He was just gross. I'd get over it.

★★★

AHUIHIDHJBVUSIHDJHBVUISB. They kissed. That is all.