Chapter 63: Am I In A High School Musical?

The school bell rang, and I made my way to the locker. After my second night of actual good sleep, I was in a much better mood. I glanced the hallways amongst the crowds of people, but there was no sight of Evan. A part of me wondered what he was up to.

I shook my head and banged against my locker.

"Easy, you might just break it..."

I turned around to see Ellie standing behind me.  "Look Ellie..."

"What happens between you and Evan, stays between you and Evan...ok?"  Ellie interrupted. "Besides... I'm not skipping our girl's night, I think we need it now more than ever."

I sighed and shook my head. "You are amazing, you know that right."

Ellie pretended to think. "Yip...I'm pretty darn cool...coming for lunch?"

"That is the plan," I said as I shoved my books inside. I made my way with Ellie to the café.

"Do you know the school is hosting a Masquerade Ball? The news finally slipped out!" Ellie clapped her hands excitedly as she spotted the poster. "It's like a fantasy dream come true!"

"Wow..." I muttered looking at it.

"Yeah, except we don't have partners...hmm..."

"Don't think that I'm just going to get back together with Evan over a ball..."

"No, I didn't mean that, it's just, it would be nice to have someone to dance with..."

"We could always hire somebody?"

"Yeah, we can...do you know where?"

I laughed hard, but stared at the poster. It was three weeks from now, so still a while. However, a lot can happen in three weeks. Things may be different then.

"So I know you're not exactly super keen to go the Café with me this afternoon, but I was hoping maybe afterwards I could come by your place, work on some homework...watch some movies...eat some pancakes?"

"You're obsessed with my mother's pancakes aren't you..."

"I'm just a teensy weensy bit addicted," Ellie took a seat at a table and I joined her.  I frowned as I swore I heard some music. Then gasped as I realized I wasn't going crazy. A tune was playing...in the school, in the cafeteria...drowning out all the conversation.

My eyes widened as Evan appeared with a microphone in his hand.

"What...on....earth...." Ellie gaped. Her eyes widened, and I could tell this was not normal.

"When I had you to myself....I didn't you want you around..." Evan started as he jumped on the table.

"Oooh baby,  won't you give me one more chance...to show you that I love you...won't you please let me...back in your heart"

I was gaping this whole time. Evan was dancing and singing on the one table, with everyone watching.  He was sooo good, and the guys and girls were whooping, but his eyes were soley focused on me.

I couldn't actually believe it. Was he SERENADING me in front of the entire school?

"Yes I do now...ooh ooh baby, I want you back..." Evan flipped onto the ground just as he finished, and the entire school burst into applause. I just sat there, staring at him, mind blown.

He smiled at me, and I just shook my head.

Wow...I did not know he had that in him, but seriously? A day after we broke up? Gaaaaah, he was making things REALLY difficult now.

Evan started walking towards us and I stood up to collect the food at the tables. I knew he followed me, because soon enough he was standing right behind me.

"So...what'd you think?"

"Your voice is on point...good song choice..." I muttered.

"Seriously, Agnus...I mean every word...I really do want you back..."

I sighed and turned around. "You think one song in front of the entire school is just going to magically fix our problems?"

"Well it's a start..."

"Evan, you sing as a norm in front of the school, you can get away with it...which is exactly why you knew you could get away with this one too...it's just yet again one of your old tricks to rope me into a relationship that I'm just not quite ready to jump into again..."

"Well, it was worth a shot," Evan smirked and I shook my head.

"When are you gonna give up?"

Evan raised his brow. "Do you think I'm that kind of guy?"

"No, which is exactly what I am afraid off..." I said. 

"Hey, xcuse me...you're holding the line!" the guy behind us snapped. He paled as Evan turned around.

"And you're barely holding onto any version or form of hair on that very shiny scalp of yours..."

The guy quickly turned and left, and I shook my head. "Same old Evan...still up to his tricks...why do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Insult people? However witty it may be, it's not funny to those receiving it..."

Evan inhaled and exhaled. "Force of habit?"

"Yeah..."

"So I just messed up what hope  I might have had for today...didn't I?"

I nodded. "Pretty much..." I turned around and carried on picking my lunch. However, I could not surpress the smile growing on my face. I actually had a boy sing to me in front of the entire school.

That is most certainly a first....