Chapter 51: When A Light Is Shone

When Ellie slammed her locker shut, she jumped a little as I appeared.

"Ahhh, you're here!" she wrapped me in a tight hug, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Down but not out, right?" I said and grinned. Ellie nodded.

"You are the living walking example of a fighter," Ellie said and smiled. "Evan's at home, and I'm assuming you'd love to see him?"

"Yeah, I really do," I said and grinned, the questions were thundering in my mind, but now was not a good time to ask. I'd have to wait till after school. Considering I was actually exhausted and did not have any good sleep, the school classes were extra long. At least I managed to finish my history assignment, because I couldn't sleep.

When school finally finished, I followed Ellie to their car. I stopped before I climbed in, and Ellie frowned. "What's wrong?"

I took a deep breath. "Do you remember that story you told me, of Evan fighting the boys who bullied you?"

"Yes..."

"Why didn't you tell me that one of them was Keith? And that he was one of the guys that ended up in the hospital because of Evan?"

Ellie gaped. "How did you..."

"Let's just say I met a woman who talks...a lot, and she happened to tell me a little something that made me really question everything I've come to believe about you...and Evan and Keith..."

Ellie closed the door that she opened. "Technically, I was never supposed to tell you about that incident."

"Then why did you?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"Because Evan asked me to," Ellie answered. I frowned. 

"What do you mean?"

Ellie opened her mouth then closed it. She was evidently debating what to tell me. I just stood there, standing, watching her in silence.

"Because I wanted you to date my brother..." she sighed and pushed her hands in her hair. "This is such a mess." She took a few steps back. 

"I thought you honestly didn't care whether or not I liked your brother...I actually thought you really did not like him, so why would you do him any favours?"

"Because I was an idiot ok?" Ellie responded. "I knew that Tyler liked you, and I was so scared he would find a way to win you over, but I also knew that Evan liked you...so if I had to choose who would win...well, it would've have been my brother...because I was hoping that after you were taken, well, that Tyler would date me, and look how bloody well that turned out..." Ellie shook her head, her brows scrunched together and tears forming in her eyes. "I'm so sorry, Agnus."

"Why did you leave Keith out of the story?"

"Because I knew you cared for him, by then, and so...if you were to find out what Evan did...you might not have even considered him...it was really an accident...I swear,"

"Ellie, did Keith hurt you?" I asked. My heart pounded. I couldn't believe I was asking this question, but I needed to know.

"He never intentially did...he was just apart of the group, but he never hurt me...he never stood up for me either though...it was just such a mess..." Ellie remarked. "And yet, when that big fight broke out between my brother and the jerk that punched me...Keith tried to intervene...let's just say it did not go so well for him."

"Yeah, I heard," I whispered. I leaned against the car and sighed. Ellie took a few steps closer to me, her eyes puffy. 

"So, what happens now?"

"I don't know," I said honestly.  "I don't know where I stand with Evan...I don't know where I stand with Keith..."

"And me?"

I sighed. "You welcomed me in when I was new to this school...and although I don't exactly approve of you leaving that part out, or even telling me in the first place, I can somewhat understand where you are coming from..."

"So you're saying..."

"We're still friends Ellie," I remarked. "I guess we all make mistakes, but please trust me, when I say I'm not interested in a guy, it means I'm NOT interested."

Ellie came closer and she wrapped her arms around me. I returned the hug and took a deep breath.  "Ok, so I won't push my brother at you every time we meet a hot guy..."

"Thank you," I said and smiled.

"But please understand, Evan means well, I mean, he planned that zip-line trip days before you actually went...he rarely plans anything..."

"What did you say?" I asked with a frown.

"That zip-line date you went on...he was meticulous, same with the ice-rink and the karaoke...why do I feel like I just said something really wrong?"

I closed my mouth. My brain was working like clockwork. That Saturday was the day I was let go. How could Evan have even planned for that date...

Unless he knew I was going to be fired.