Chapter 38: A Rough Start And A Rough End

I took a deep breath as I walked through the seemingly endless passageway towards the kitchen. We were still in Evan's house, but he was going to drop me off after he checked out my hand and placed Ellie in her bed. 

"Ow," I spoke as he gently moved my fingers. He asked me to move them, checked for swelling, stiffness, deformity or any kind of indication that my wrist was broken. I was sitting on the countertop of the kitchen, and I shook my head as he kissed it.

"Still hurts," I said and sighed. "I shouldn't have punched him in the first place."

"Trust me, if you didn't, I would've done something a lot worse..."

"You knocked him cold..." I said pointedly.

"He was coming at you...I had to do what I deemed best," Evan spoke. "You have one hell of a fight in you Agnus."

"Yeah, I know..." I said and smiled. I didn't move as Evan inched closer to kiss me again. His hands wrapped inside of my hair and he pulled me closer. I returned the kiss, my heart beating faster. Evan started to kiss me harder, rougher, and as his hands brushed against my legs, I grabbed it.

"Not right now," I spoke softly. "I'm not that kind of girl...Evan..."

Evan looked at me with a frown. "What's wrong with now? Here? Your mom wouldn't mind if you slept over...neither would I..."

By the smirk placed on Evan's face, I knew exactly what he meant, and I wasn't going for it. "Evan, I just lost my job today, nearly broke my hand punching Tyler, and we haven't even been dating that long..."

"So what? You're saving it for someone special? You're that kind of girl?"

"And what is the shame in it?" I snapped. "You may have done this, who knows how many times, but rest assured this is not something I want to do just for fun. It's special, and should be for the one I want to spend the rest of my life with..."

"Seriously?" Evan shook his head. He leaned forward and started gently kissing my neck. I gasped as shivers ran through my spine. "What if I'm that special one?"

His hand traced yet again on my thigh, and without thinking I grabbed it with my hurt hand. Pain shot down my arm.

"Ow!" I yelped and pushed him back in anger. "What the hell?"

"I'm sorry, Agnus..."

"You're sorry?" I snapped. 

"I think I must have had too much to drink as well...I'm sorry, I'll take you home," Evan softly pleaded. I shook my head.

"If you had something to drink, you shouldn't have driven us here in the first place," I spoke softly. "I'm gonna call my mom..."

"She'll be fast asleep by now..." Evan spoke. "I don't think that is exactly the impression you want to leave with your parents. You could kind of land in big trouble."

I took a deep breath and scanned my contacts. I pressed on a dial.

"Seriously? Who are you calling?"

"Someone to come and get me...good night Evan," I spoke as I placed the phone on my ear and walked out.

Twenty minutes later a vehicle parked at the Fletcher's house. I frowned. This was not my mom's car, but my dad's. I cautiously climbed in and frowned as I saw him. I was really surprised that he answered my mom's phone, and decided to come and fetch me. We drove in silence for a few minutes.

"So, rough day huh?"

"You could say that," I whispered. It was strange...him and I being in the car together.

"Well, let's agree to this, this'll be our little secret," my dad spoke softly. "I'm sure you won't make choices like this again."

"What do you care?" I asked him. I looked at him and frowned. His hair had turned a lot more grey, and wrinkles lined his face that I never noticed before. He was growing older, but I didn't even see him enough to notice it. 

"Believe it or not, I do, Agnus...your mom told me that you said you didn't know me well enough to decide whether or not...I was actually a criminal..."

"I'm not apologizing if that is what you want..."

"No, Agnus, I'm saying this, because what you said is the truth...my job, is really important to me..."

"And your family?"

"That's why I have this job..."

"Well, it would be real nice to have a little less money, but a little more of your time," I mumbled. I saw him glancing at me and nodding.

"Maybe one day, you will understand...."

I was too tired to argue. All I wanted was to put this horrible day behind me. Boy did, it have a rough start, and it certainly had a rough end. At least, due to my dad not mentioning this to my mom...I was not having to deal with her as well.