Chapter 28: The Twist In The Tale

So this is how a party can turn into a horror story real quick.

Panic and fear filled my mind as a heavy weight pushed me under the water. Legs twisted, and pain formed in my lungs.

I didn't even have time to take a deep breath. 

No, this could not possibly be the way I way I was going to go. Drowned in a pool due to a bunch of stupid students?  Things seemed to slow down as I tried to make my way up, but everything was so chaotic, and I couldn't untangle myself in the mangled mess of people surrounding me. All I knew was that I needed air. And I wasn't getting any.

Pain swelled, and I kept my mouth shut. I tried to push and punch anyone, anything. What the hell was going on?

A hand painfully gripped my arm and I was jerked up.

Air !!!! I gasped and coughed, in a daze. I let out a cry of relief. I was out. I was breathing. I had air. I could breath  !

"Agnus!" Ellie's voice rang close by and I saw them in a daze. 

"I got her," Evan's voice spoke from behind me.

I just realized then and there.

He was the one who pulled me from the deep, literally.

I coughed again, and felt as Evan pulled me to the edge. He hoisted me over the side and I just burst into tears. The adrenaline, panic and fear taking it's toll. 

"Just breath," Evan spoke as I sat there. I nodded and looked up.

"What happened?"

Evan only grimaced. "I'll explain later." He stood up and grabbed a towel, wrapping it around me. "Let's get you inside."

I shook my head. Whether it was fear, shock or just plain nausea, I didn't want to move. I just wanted to breath. Ellie grabbed my arm from the side.

"When I saw those idiots falling on top of you, I just couldn't stop screaming, I'm so glad you're ok !" Ellie hugged me tightly. I returned it, but started shivering.

Evan helped me up. "Did you hit anything? Your head? Neck? Back?"

I shook my head, and Evan pulled me closer.

"Evan, I'm so sorry," a voice spoke behind us.

Evan halted for a second.  His body stiffened close to me, and his grip tightened.

"Evan, I want to go inside," I spoke. He didn't respond at first, instead he rubbed my arm and walked again. We entered the living room and Evan set me down on the couch. Ellie followed inside.

"Get some hot chocolate for her," Evan ordered. This time, Ellie did not fight or argue. She made her way to the kitchen, and I was just staring at the wall, trying to make sense of the situation.  Evan hugged me closely, and a shiver ran through my spine as he kissed the top of my head.

"You're going to be ok, hey?"

I only nodded, "What happened?"

"A group of students were making it their goal to throw as many people into the pool as they could. However, one of them put up a fight, and a group of them crashed into the pool right where you were floating...it was just a mixture of commotion, fighting, but Ellie saw you go down. She was screaming at me to get you out," Evan rubbed my back. "Which I did, luckily, in time."

"Thank you," I spoke softly and he grinned. My heart lifted  little when  I saw it.

"Consider us even....electrocution for me, and drowning for you...but then, you'd never have been in danger if you never saved my life...so I still owe you one," Evan winked at me. 

I leaned my head on his chest, and took a deep breath. I frowned as I heard Evan's heartbeat increasing, and a small smile played on my lips. Maybe, just maybe

He actually had feelings for me too. What a freakking weekend.