Chapter 31: Let Me Make It Up To You

I stretched out my fingers after  placing my violin back in its case. I sat back in my chair and smiled in satisfaction. Albeit, my room was small, it was mine. It had shades of blue, aqua and purple colours painted, a small bed, desk, bookcase, wardrobe and some unpacked boxes. After work, I headed straight home, and juggled between practicing my violin and homework. My phone started buzzing half an hour ago, and I simply switched it off.

"Hey, Agnus," my mom walked in, and I smiled.

"Hey, I see dad's back at work..."

"Yeah," My mom nodded and took a seat on my bed. "I'm so sorry, for everything I put you and your sister through...this move, this job and all the stress...it's really been tough...but it seems like your boyfriend's father's lawyers panned out and everything literally went away..."

"Do you think he's innocent, mom?" I asked her. She frowns.

"Your father makes many mistakes, and he is not without faults, but he's no criminal honey...why would you think that?" 

"I don't know, I guess I just don't know him well enough to judge that myself," I responded. My mom's smile faded.

"Sweetie..."

Before she could carry on, our doorbell rang.

"I'll get it," I said before standing up and walking out. I opened the door.

"Evan..."

"Agnus....I didn't see you at the café..."

"Funny, I didn't see you at lunch," I said and placed my hand on my hip while leaning on the door.

"Oh," Evan responded.

"Oh? That's all you've gotten to say to me?  Oh?" I shook my head. A smile formed on his face.

"Look it was really an accident, I was called to music practice, and I honestly thought Ellie..." Evan saw me raise my brow higher and higher. " I was hoping to make it up to you at the Café..."

"Evan, so good to see you," My mom spoke.

"Mrs Rider, looking fabulous as ever," 

"Please, come in,"  my mom invited Evan in.

"Behave yourself," I whispered to him. He only smirked.

"I'll go make you some hot chocolate, both of you," my mom scuttled off into the kitchen. I stood there, my arms still crossed.

"You could have sent me a text," I said. "It's called letting your brand new girlfriend know, that you don't take her for granted."

Evan nodded. "I swear, I will make it up to you."

"You better," I mumbled, but as he smiled my heart melted. He was so darn cute, and the fact that he pitched up was evidence enough that my message ran clear. He better make it up to me though.

"So, has Sally and Johnny been bugging you?"

"No, in fact, they've been avoiding me as much as possible," I said as I walked into the sitting room.

Evan grabbed my arm. "Hey, I'm sorry ok?" He leaned down and kissed me. "I won't do that again."

I smiled, but pulled back. Evan held my hand and frowned. "Your fingers...they're dented and calloused...you play an instrument?"

"Maybe," I responded and took a seat on the couch.

"Hey, Agnus...is Keith here?" Mila appeared.

"You are supposed to be asleep," my mom appeared and shoed her to her bedroom. 

"It's just Evan!" I called out to her. I looked at Evan who walked and sat down next to me.

"Mrs Rider, how'd everything go with the lawyers?"

"Phenomenal, your dad has pretty strong connections," My mom handed him the cup and he smiled. "We owe you a big thanks."

"The pleasure is all mine," Evan placed his hand around my shoulders, and I was pulled closer.

"I'll leave you two," my mom walked into the dining room to finish her book. I turned to see Evan smirking at me.

"What?"

"Keith visit often?"

"Occasionally, we are co-workers, we've grown close,"

"And how exactly did you two meet?"

"Jogging," I responded. I tilted my head as I tried to study Evan's face. "Why does that bother you? What happened between you two?"

"Nothing important, it's just that guy is like a mouse, found everywhere..."

"Well, maybe it's because he's likeable..." I said and shrugged. 

"Girls shriek at the sight of mice..."

"And some find them cute," I responded. I took my cup from the tea table and grinned.

"So you like mice?"

"Are you asking me whether I love those adorable furry beings, or whether I like Keith?"

Evan shrugged. "Consider me curious...I barely know this amazing girl, but she's skating past every question better than she could ever do on the rink."

"Hey, I just need more practice," I said and grinned. "And I will be able to skate backwards one day....you'll see...I just need a good mentor."

Evan grinned. "If you allow me to teach you, you will turn into a pro skater, and not potentially fall every ten seconds."

"And you'll be able to chase away and insult any paedophile wannabe who talks to me," I said and grinned. 

"My dream come true...will you come see me sing at the school's game tomorrow? Please?"

"Sure," I said and he brushed his fingers over my cheek. 

"I can't believe you're actually mine,"

I blushed as his gaze did not leave me. He leaned forward to kiss me again, but I heard giggles, and I looked across.

"Mila, you little snoop," I stood up and chased her back into her bedroom. She squealed all the way back, and crawled into bed. I tickled her until she agreed not to get up again. I walked back into the living room.

"Maybe it's best to do it in less public places," Evan winked at me. "Wouldn't want your father to walk in to the sight..."

"Yeah, well, I can guarantee you, it won't be in the next few hours....my mom and my sister on the other hand, well, they're about as curious as cats," I said and bit my lip.

"Well, I'd love to stay, but unfortunately..."

"Homework? Preparations for the school game show? Flirting?"

"Only with you on the phone," Evan winked. He leaned over and kissed me again. His lips, soft, and sweet. He stood up. "Good night, Princess."

"Good night," I said and smiled. I was so not going to miss tomorrow's game.