Chapter 15: Well, It Was MEANT To Be A Girl's Night

"Yummy," I ogled my ice cream and took another spoonful. Ellie laughed as I smacked my lips in satisfaction. "This is goooood."

"I second that," Ellie lifted her spoon and waved it in the air like crazy. I laughed as an icy cold splatter landed smack on my cheek. She gave me an apologetic shrug. We were busy doing homework, eating ice-cream and watching a movie. Ever so now and then answering a question where needed.

I must say, it took me near an hour to stop gaping at Ellie's house...well, her father's house. It was huge, pristine and well, huge. I couldn't stop gaping. However, it was also stiff and white, not so homey as I'd hope it would be. We were in the second living room, where I could see patches of stains left on the carpet, the couches were wrapped protectively and I realized there was a lot of history in this room. Ellie checked her box, which was the nail-polish and apparently an effective Evan-deterant. Not that I minded his company...

I shook my head and took another scoop. That thought led to trouble. My phone buzzed and I laughed. It was Keith. He had indeed sent me a maths problem, and I solved it in two minutes. His response:

"How????????"

I put my phone away. I'd solve his mystery later. Right now,  I grinned as the lead character kissed, and I could see Ellie blushing as well.

"Well, well, if it isn't Agnus and my love-sick lonely sister," Evan trudged into the room. I raised my brow. He was wearing  tight grey gym shirt, earphones and Nikes.

"You go running?" I asked him. 

Evan stared at me and shook his head. "No, had a go at the punching bag though..."

"You box?"

Evan laughed and shook his head. "What? You thought it was natural good looks, charm and super heroic strength that I could put Johnny in his place?"

A blush seeped on my cheeks and I glanced down at my ice-cream. My eyes widened as he sat right next to me. His arms brushing against mine.  My heart beat fast.

"We were just about to paint our nails, right Agnus?" Ellie spoke as she brought out her box. "And we're watching a chic-flick."

Evan glanced at his sister with a straight face.  "Chic-flicks? How sad can you be?"

"Hey, I enjoy chic-flicks, they remind as there may actually be hope for love," I said and tried to scoot a little further away from him. Not that I minded him being so close to me, it was just, well, he made me nervous.  I glanced at Ellie's vast and expensive nail-polish collection.

"That one..." I pointed to the deep scarlet red.

"I'd go for the peach, red is too strong for your skin," Ellie pursed her lips and lifted a lighter colour up for me. I nodded.

"Sure,"

"Seriously?" 

Ellie grinned at me and looked at her brother. "Sorry, bro, guess it's a girl's night...you can go and flirt on the phone with all the other girls in your man cave."

My heart hitched at this. He was a player, of course. I should not expect any less, but it still niggled me. I liked the attention.

Evan grinned. "I'm actually quite tired...don't think I'll make it to my room." He leaned back and stretched his arms out. I expected a deep dark stench, but I got struck by strong deodorant instead. I glanced at Ellie with a confused look, and she just looked infuriated.

"We don't want you here...." Ellie snapped.

"Too bad, because unless you can carry me out...I'm not going anywhere..." Evan placed his arm on the back of the couch, inches from my neck. A shiver shot through me, and I sighed.

"Let's just ignore him..." I said and allowed Ellie to start filing my nails. Maybe if we started painting, the fumes itself would work.  She opened the bottle, and I heard a sharp inhale from Evan's side. Ellie was holding my hand carefully. She managed the first one, then the second one...then

Evan blew warm air onto my neck. I squealed in fright and pulled my hand away, leaving  huge blob all over my nail and finger.

"EVAN!" Ellie yelled, and he was just laughing. 

"I think I'm going to get a kick out of this..." he said and winked at me. He glanced at my eyes then at my shoulder blade, which had full out exploded into goose bumps. He gave a knowing smile, and I swallowed.

This was MEANT to be a girl's night.