Chapter 34: A Dodgy Neighbourhood

"Shouldn't you be going on  a date?"

I looked at Keith, and shook my head. We had both given our statements to the police, then journeyed with the woman to Hospital Grey, a private hospital not too far from my school. I called Evan, explaining the situation, and he told me he was on his way.

The smell of cleaning chemicals made me feel semi-sick, and I was stressed. I had no idea how dark this day would turn, and was in no mood for a date.  We sat in the waiting room, and Keith handed me a cup of coffee. He sat down next to me and sighed. I saw his hands were scrubbed pink as he tried to get the blood off, and he wore a new shirt as he had to give in the other one for evidence. He leaned and dug his hands through his hair.

"Hey, you were a hero today," I said, and he only nodded. 

"I just feel like I could have done more..." he looked at me and shook his head. "How are you feeling by the way?"

"Don't really know how to feel," I said softly. "No one can truly prepare you for moments like these." I grimaced and looked down at my shoes. "But Keith, I was frozen in shock. You just grabbed my arm, called the police and went to help a woman. You were amazing...don't you forget that." I patted his shoulder, and he only nodded. I felt helpless. Evidently he was stressed, and trying to keep it all together. I didn't know what else to say.

"Agnus!" Evan stormed into the room, and the moment he caught sight of me, tears filled my eyes. I don't know why, but I guess I was so relieved to see him. I ran up to him, and he hugged me tightly.

"When the first words you told me was: I'm going to the hospital, my heart nearly stopped," he whispered to me. 

"I'm sorry, I was panicking, not good with words under stress," I mumbled. He held me close, and after a few moments, I broke the hug and took a step back. "Sorry about our date."

"It wasn't your fault," Evan spoke. His eyes led to mine then to Keith, and he tensed up. This wasn't good.

"You could have told Agnus the sweet shop was in a dodgy neighbourhood...you put her in danger..."

"Evan...." I spoke, but Keith, was hearing none of it.

"In danger? You could be in the safest suburbs, and something could still happen...nothing like this has happened before..." Keith stood up.

"Evan, let's get some coffee," I pleaded.

"And what is this news of you leaving her alone? The shooter could have bumped into her or worse," 

"So I should have let that woman die? That's low, even for you Evan..." Keith crossed his arms.

"What are you trying to be? A hero? With that build, you'd be lucky to even survive a comedy movie..."

"Evan!" I spoke, but he was so focused on insulting Keith. Albeit he wanted someone to blame, this was not the way to do it.

"Are you trying to goad me into a fight?" Keith asked and frowned. "Here in a hospital of all places? I know how you work, Evan. You get people so angry, they take the first step to pull the punch, and you end them. It's not gonna work. If you want to fight, then you have to take the first step."

Keith sat down, and Evan wanted to take a step forward, but I pushed him back.

"We need to talk," I snapped softly. I grabbed his arm and pulled him out of that room.

"What the hell? He did not deserve that and he certainly does not deserve to be blamed for any of it!"

"But he..."

"No buts, Evan, he is my friend, and the first thing he did was ensure my safety, before going out to save a mom of two children...so forgive me for taking his side, but you are acting like a ten-year-old with something to prove...."

"I was just so scared,"

My expression softened. Evan...just admitted that he was scared, so openly. 

"I nearly lost you this weekend, and within two days, I hear about this gun situation? How do you think I was going to react?"

"By maybe thanking the man that ensured my safety, not picking a bloody fight with him," I said. Evan nodded. 

"I'm sorry..."

"It's not me you need to apologize to," I said, and Evan nodded again. He leaned forward and kissed me, hard. Before turning around and heading back to the waiting area. I lingered behind, trying to hang back, but also staying close enough to ensure no fights were started. As things came into view, I saw Evan and Keith shaking hands. 

That was quick. I walked back in just in time to see the doctor who was treating her walk in.

"How is she, doctor?" Keith asked and I approached, standing next to Evan.

"She's in ICU, but she's been stabilized...it's gonna be  rough couple of days, but she's strong...she should make it..."

Keith released a breath, and I felt Evan squeeze my hand. I nodded and smiled. What a night this was.

'