Chapter 82 - The End

Start from the beginning

I furrow my brows, I always suspected that he was gay but I kind of expected him to tell me himself.

"How do you know?"

Niall shifts awkwardly in his seat, "Be-because it's me. We are dating. We have been for a while. Will has wanted to tell you from the start but I made him keep it a secret. I'm not really sure why." he says, not moving his eyes from his hands.

Well I did not see that coming.

"You and Will?"

"Yes."

"How long?"

"What?"

"How long have you two been dating?" I ask.

"Almost a year."

"Wow." I say quietly.

I can't help but feel stupid for not noticing as the signs begin to come together in my mind. I just saw it as my two best friends getting along.

The sound of the front door closing pulls me from my thoughts as Joe comes into view.

"Hey! Are you staying for dinner Niall? I was thinking we could order some Chinese from the place down the road. Caden swears that it is amazing."

He stops and glances at us. "Is everything okay?"

I just stare back at him. What am I supposed to say? Luckily Niall speaks up first.

"Everything is fine. I was just heading off actually." He gets up from the chair and looks to me, "See you later Riley."

I take a deep breath and nod, "See you."

He smiles slightly at Joe, the expression not quite reaching his eyes. Something tells me that this did not go well. I must resolve it soon.

As soon as the door closes Joe turns to look at me. "Now, are you going to tell me what's wrong or do I have to guess?"

"Nothing is wrong," I lie, getting up and moving past him into the hallway.

"Riley." he says, reaching out and grabbing my wrist. "I can tell when you are lying to me."

I twist my wrist free and start making my way upstairs. "It's nothing to worry about Joe."

He follows me into the study. "He told you didn't he?" he says with a sigh, "About him and Will."

"You knew?!"

He raises his hands defensively, "I wasn't supposed to. I caught Niall sneaking out of the apartment. What was I supposed to do Riley? He swore me to secrecy."

"You were supposed to tell me. They're my best friends for goodness sake."

"That defeats the whole purpose of keeping a secret."

"But we said we wouldn't keep secrets anymore Joe." I counter, taking a deep breath. "No. You know what? We are not going to fight over this. I'm just surprised, y'know?"

"That's understandable love. Please know that I wanted to tell you. I just wasn't sure how you'd take it."

"It's fine. So long as they're happy I guess. That is all that really matters."

I sit on the grass and smile as I watch the people around me.

I have always been a dreamer. Creating the image of a perfect life in my mind and the frustration when things did not turn out as I had wished is ever-present. But in this moment, as I watch the people that mean the most to me, I feel truly satisfied with the way my life has turned out.

"Riley!" I look up to see Niall grinning at me. "We're gonna play touch rugby, you want to play?"

I grin back at him, "Are you kidding! That's totally unfair. I'm from New Zealand, I'm going to whoop your ass, leprechaun." I say with a laugh as I get up.

"Remember that when you lose." he responds with a wink.

I laugh, "Yeah, yeah. Whatever helps you sleep at night." I say, running off to join the others.

Life is full of hurdles and nobody is perfect. Mistakes are inevitable and the only way to make it through is to remain positive. The moment you give up is the moment you lose. 

I won't ever give up.

A/N

So.. This is it. The final chapter of The City. 

I have loved writing this so much and I am sorry for my lack of reliability in these last chapters.

I just want to thank everyone who has helped me with this book. My Wattpad friends, readers and especially Will. Will has kept me going and encouraged me to keep writing and without him I don't think I would have ever finished this book.

Now, question time. Should there be a sequel? I have a fair idea for the plot of a sequel but I need to know that you guys will be there for me if I do write it. It's up to you really.

Thank you all so very much for all you have done. I appreciate every single one of you and I know I'll never be able to thank every single reader individually but just know that I really do love you guys.

Until next time, whenever and wherever that may be..

I love you all!! xx