Chapter 50

I turn the key in the lock and push the front door open.

It's 8am and usually everyone would already be up and getting ready for the day. All the dancing last night must have worn them out because it appears as if they're all still in bed.

I tiptoe into my bedroom and get an awful fright when I find Joe sitting in the middle of the floor.

His head is buried in one of my diaries and I flinch when I see the date scrawled across the front.

March 2013.

It was one of the worse months. Who am I kidding? Just about all of them last year were horrendous.

I clear my throat in an attempt to grab his attention. It works.

Joe's head snaps up at the sound and his eyes light up despite the dark bags that hang beneath them. He looks as though he hasn't slept.

The same clothes he was wearing last night hang off of his frame.

Yet, despite this, he still looks amazing.

"Riley." He croaks. His voice is strained, he's exhausted.

I smile sheepishly, "Hi." I mumble shyly as I give him a slight wave.

He smiles, somehow lighting his face up even more. "You came back."

I chuckle, "Of course I did. I told you I would."

The fact that he would doubt that kind of hurts. I wouldn't back out on something I said.

"I'm sorry.. That was a really bad month." I say, referring to the book in his hands.

He looks down and then back up at me. "Don't apologise."

I sigh, "I'm sorry." I laugh when I realise the bad choice of words, "I mean, okay."

He chuckles, "Starting now?"

I nod in response. Joe hasn't moved from the floor. He probably can't, he looks as though he's barely moved and his legs are probably numb.

I cross over and sit beside him on the floor. I glance at the page he's on and freeze when I see it.

"You don't need to read that one." I say hurriedly as I reach for it.

He dodges my hands and pulls the book out of my reach.

"I thought I was allowed to read anything.." He trails off.

I pout, "Joe. Please. You really don't want to. There are details."

He sighs but puts the book down, "Fine." He says as he pulls me in for a hug.

I smile as I wrap my arms around his neck, "Okay. We still need to talk though."

It's Joe's turn to pout, "I thought we already talked."

"It's important."

I take his lack of reply as an okay to continue.

"Maybe we need a break." I mumble and I feel the muscles of Joe's arms stiffen.

"A break? I thought the object of me apologising was to keep you.."

"I-I just mean. Maybe you shouldn't come here every weekend. You need to have fun. I know I've said this before but I mean it."

His hands retract from my waist and he reaches up to cup my face in them.

"And I've said before, I have fun with you."

I sigh, "But not the type of fun you should be having. Joe, can't you admit I am boring? No 22 year old guy could possibly enjoy watching Harry Potter every weekend as opposed to going and getting pissed."