Chapter 5

Riley's POV

I wake to the sound of someone else breathing next to me.

My eyes flutter open to find Joe's face just centimetres from my own. I jump, causing the whole bed to shake and Joe wakes with a start.

"Fuck, I'm sorry Riley.." he begins.

I was over the initial shock of finding him next to me in my bed.

"You fell asleep on me and I didn't want to wake you.."

"It's fine Joe," I say, glancing at the clock.

It reads 7:34am.

"I have to get ready for school." I say, hoping that he gets the message.

Sure enough seconds later he is on his feet at the door.

"Sorry again Riley," he mumbles.

"Stop apologizing, it's my fault for falling asleep. You were just being polite." I state, hoping to help him not feel so bad.

He smiles sheepishly, not seeming fully convinced. "I'll leave you to get ready."

"Thanks," I say, giving him what I hope is a reassuring smile.

"Thanks," he mocks my accent again with a chuckle as he leaves the room. Closing the door behind him.

I flop back down onto the bed.

He is so freaking adorable. I mean, he spent the night in my bed because he didn't want to wake me. Very chivalrous if you ask me.

I sigh and get up. Trudging over to my closet where I had hung my clothing.

What does one wear to school in the UK?

I'm not even sure if my new school has a uniform.. If they do I don't have it anyway so I pick out a plain white skater skirt, black lacy top and a pair of black ballet flats.

I really do need a shower so I drop the clothing onto my bed and search the apartment for Alfie.

I find him and Zoe in the kitchen.

He grins at me when I enter, "Morning!" he beams, "Sleep well?"

I smile, "Yeah, can I have a shower?"

"Sure, we have to leave in half an hour though so you might want to make it quick."

"Thanks," I reply.

"Towels are in the hall cupboard," he says and I quickly head toward my room. I grab my clothes and, as I head to the bathroom, a towel.

I am in and out of the shower in a record breaking 5 minutes.

I towel off and pull on my clothes. I wrap my towel around my head and quickly rush out of the bathroom.

Almost too quickly it seems as I almost bowl over poor Joe.

He catches my arm as I stumble to a halt.

"Careful," he scolds playfully as I balance myself.

"Sorry," I mumble, squeezing past him to get to my room.

I pull out my hairdryer and dry my hair as best I can before pulling the long strands into a half-hearted ponytail.

I apply a little makeup to cover my blemishes and smile at the girl in the mirror. 

It will have to do.

I saunter out to the kitchen where Alfie and Zoe have been joined by Joe.

"Help yourself to some breakfast," Alfie says through a mouthful of toast.