Chapter 32

Riley's POV

"Joe?" I say quietly, unsure if he is awake.

"Yeah?" He says, his voice laced with sleep. Croaky and, to be honest, dead sexy.

"Happy New Year." I say, leaning into him as I sit up in the bed, his head in my lap.

I feel him move slightly. "Happy New Year." He says.

The clock has just struck 12.

2014 has arrived.

Joe and I are now at my parents holiday home in Queenstown. Tourism capital of New Zealand.

The house itself sits on the hill behind the CBD. Overlooking both Lake Wakatipu and the surrounding mountains. I have always loved it here and I thought that since I dragged Joe halfway across the world we might as well have fun. Windows cover all of the outer walls of the house allowing you to admire the stunning view from inside.

This also means that you can see the streets of the small town through the mirrored windows in my bedroom.

I watch as drunken party goers stumble around the streets. God knows how they managed to get pissed because there is a total liquor ban around here over New Years. But they have. And it provides quality entertainment for me in my jet lagged state.

Joe moves again. This time, sitting up.
He grabs my chin and plants a kiss on my lips.

"Happy. New. Year" he says again between kisses. I smile under his lips. I've never had a New Years kiss before.

"Isn't it gorgeous though?" I ask Joe as we walk along the waterfront hand in hand.

He squeezes my hand lightly, "You are."

I scoff, "And I'm still the cheesy one?" I ask as I burst into laughter.

He smiles, seemingly unbothered by my comment, "Just speaking the truth."

I feel my cheeks blush slightly. Despite the cheesiness he never fails to make me feel special.

We walk along one of the small piers and lean against the rail at the end. Staring out over the crisp water. The lake disappears between two hills in the distance. Creating a perfect landscape. I pull out my phone and take a picture. I have always loved the scenery here in Central Otago. It's one thing I definitely miss while living in the hustle and bustle of London City.

"If it isn't little Ryerye?"

I spin around at the sound of that nickname. There is only one person who calls me that.

"Uncle Jeff?" I ask excitedly. I haven't seen him since early last year and he is my favourite Uncle on dad's side.

"The one and only." He says, giving me a grin as I run into his outstretched arms, "How are you kiddo?" He asks as he lets me go.

I grin back at him. "I'm brilliant." I say, brushing my hair behind my ear. "I'm just visiting for a week."

Uncle Jeff nods, "Your mother told me. Wanted me to keep an eye on you and your new boy toy."

I laugh. That is typical. He is kidding about the keeping an eye on me part but Mum probably did tell him.

"Uh, yeah. This is Joe, my boyfriend." I say. Gripping onto Joe's hand and pulling him forward.

Joe smiles politely, "A pleasure to meet you sir." He says, extending his hand to him.

Uncle Jeff grins, taking his hand and shaking it firmly. "Call me Jeff."

"What're you and the family up to today?" I ask Uncle Jeff, interrupting their awkward exchange.

"We were gonna head out in the boat. Some other family friends are comin' along. You two wanna join us?" He asks, his words running together in the familiar kiwi style of speaking.

I look to Joe who just nods before I turn back to Uncle Jeff. "We'd love to join you." I say and Jeff grins.

"Great!" He exclaims, giving Joe a slap on the back. "We'll show ya how it's done here boy." He says to Joe before turning back to me, "Meet us back here in 20 minutes."

We head straight back to the house and I dig out my bathing suit.

"Should I be scared?" Joe asks and I can't tell if he's being serious or not.

I laugh, "Of course not! My uncle is a big softy really. He just likes to joke around."

It's true. He's no harm so long as you don't provoke him. He got the easygoing attitude that my father severely lacks. The fun sibling. I rarely ever get the chance to see them so when I am here it's like my home away from home. Well, I guess London is one of them now too.

"I don't think he likes me." Joe says as he kicks off his sneakers, reaching for the jandals I bought him yesterday. A frown sits upon his face.

"That's nonsense! He just likes to kid around." I insist, going into the large bathroom that comes off of my bedroom. I leave the door cracked open so we can continue to talk. "I have to warn you though, my cousins can be kind of full on." I call out as I begin to pull off my clothes.

"Full on?"

"Protective. Uncle Jeff has three boys, they're all older than me and like to play older brother. Don't listen to what they say."

Joe doesn't respond as I put on my bikini and return to the bedroom.

"Just talk to them about boy shit like cars and video games or whatever and you'll be sweet." I say as I dump my clothes beside my suitcase.

I look over to Joe and catch him staring at me. Taking in my appearance.

"Take a picture. It'll last longer." I joke as he averts his gaze out the large windows.

I grab a sundress and pull it on over my bikini, slipping my jandals onto my feet before turning back to Joe.

"Shall we go then?" I ask, grabbing my beach bag which has all the things I'll need inside.

"Sure." Joe says, running his hand through his hair, pushing it out of his face, before grabbing my hand as we leave the house.

One of the things I love about Queenstown is that things are within walking distance.

As we approach the pier where we were earlier I spot them all standing in a large group near the boat which has been docked.

"Riley!" Theo, the youngest of the three, calls out as we approach them. He pull me into his arms, enveloping me in a tight bear hug.

I laugh, "Look at you!" I exclaim as he lets me go, "Your like a proper man now." I joke as I squeeze his arms lightly.

Theo just turned 18 last month and has filled out a lot since last time I saw him.

Our exchange is interrupted by his brother, Mason, who picks me up and tosses me over his shoulder.

"In the water you go." He says, walking towards the edge of the pier.

"Mason!! Stop!" I squeal, my tiny fists beating on his back.

Mason chuckles before placing me back on the ground. We are now a fair distance away from the group. I look back to where Joe is.

Caden, the eldest of the three brothers is talking to him.

"New boyfriend?" Mason asks, bringing my attention back to him.

I nod, "He's brilliant."

He chuckles, "Caden is giving him a talk. Look at how serious he looks."

I look over at the the two guys who are both looking my way. Sure enough, Caden looks dead serious. I give Joe a sympathetic smile.

"Speaking of boyfriends did dad mention who else is coming."

My eyes shoot back to Mason.

"No. Who?" I ask.

Mason nods behind me and I turn around, meeting the eyes of the last person I wish to see right now.

Josh Miller.

"The fucking Millers?!" I exclaim.

Josh and I had a thing last time I was down here. It was nothing really. I was depressed over Jack and needed a distraction. I was stupid. He dumped me for Kenzie who was apparently 'better' than me.

Unfortunately though his father and my uncle are best mates.

"Want me to wind him up?" Mason asks. "Make him wish he'd stayed at home?"

I laugh, "Nah.. I'll be fine Mase. Thanks for the offer though."

Mason grins, "Anything for you little cuz." He says, ruffling my hair.

I shove his hand away as we head back toward the group.

"Riley! You've grown." Mrs Miller comments as we approach them.

I smile politely back at her.

"Been a while." I simply say.

As I reach Joe I wrap my arm around his waist, pulling him close as I give Josh a pointed look that I hope says something like 'Look. I'm happy without you asshole.'

"How's Kenzie?" I ask Josh.

He frowns, "No idea. Haven't seen her in about a year."

I smirk. In other words, they didn't last at all.

Joe looks at me confused and I feel slightly bad for flaunting him but I just want to make Josh feel bad. Know that I'm better without him.

I'm with Joe and I'm happy.

My life is pretty good right now and I feel like nothing could get me down.

Nothing.

And I'm certainly not going to let one boy that I made out with a couple times bother me.

A/N

First update of 2014! Happy New Year everyone!
I'm sorry for how shitty this chapter is. I'm really tired.
But this is longer than usual.. I think.
Anywho.. As always let me know opinions and give the chapter a vote!
The photo Riley took of the lake is on the side bar :) I actually toon it when I was is Queenstown last week. I'm going back there tomorrow. I love it there!
I got 8k today :) There are a lot of silent readers around here.. Some of you came out at the mention of smut last chapter :P
I'll follow everyone who comments on this chapter xx
If you read this far into my notes you're amazing :)
I love all of you xx