Chapter 81

I turn the envelope over in my hands and read the embossed name in the corner.

University of the Arts London

I look to Joe who almost looks almost as nervous as I am.

I applied to the University of the Arts in London around a month ago. My mother had promised she would find a way to pay tuition for me if I got in.

If I got in.

There's only one way to find out if I did.

I tear open the top of the envelope and pull out the letter, opening it slowly before resting my eyes on the words on the page before me.

Dear Miss Templeton,

We are pleased to offer you a place in the BA Fine Art: Painting at the University of the Arts London in 2015.

Please complete your enrollment form and return in the enclosed pre-addressed envelope to secure your place in the programme.

Yours sincerely,

Clarice Donovan

Manager

Admissions, Enrolment and University Information Centre.

I look to Joe and find the biggest grin I have ever seen on his face.

"I got in." I whisper, a smile cracking my face, "I got in!" I say again, this time much louder as I jump off the chair. "I got in!" I squeal, jumping into Joe's waiting arms and squeezing him as tight as humanly possible.

He chuckles, his breath fanning along my neck and I suddenly become aware of how physically close we are right now.

I have longed for him these past weeks. I have missed skin on skin contact and my heart begins to race as I bring my face around in front of his.

Without hesitation I bring my lips to his, inhaling sharply as I make contact.

It's been so long since we have kissed, too long, and it wasn't until now that I realised how much I have really been longing for it.

I savour the moment. The softness of his lips under mine and the sound of his breath, deep and steady. His arm wrapped strongly around me and the smell of his body wash. I have missed it all. I have missed him.

I pull away and wrap my arms around him, enjoying how secure it feels to be back in his arms.

Back where I belong.

As happy as I am to have been accepted I'm going to have to break it to my parents.

When we walk into my father's hospital room it immediately dawns on me. This is not going to end well.

"Riley, Joe!" My mother exclaims as we walk in. My father smiles at Joe from his bed where he is sitting with an excessive amount of pillows stacked up behind him.

"I'm glad you're here" he says.

"Dad." I begin but he cuts me off.

"I spoke to the Dean of Law at the University of Otago this morning."

"Dad." I say again.

"He has assured me that you can get a late admission to commence study in the first semester. We have to get your ad-"

"Dad, stop."

He looks at me, an edge of concern in his gaze. "What is it?"

I sigh as I sit down on a chair next to his bed.

"I've told you. I don't want to be a lawyer."

"Oh, not this again! How many times do I have to tell you Aurelia?! Being an artist is not a choice! You will go to Law school and one day take over the family practice. End of story."

"Phillip!" My mother scolds, looking down at her feet, ashamed.

"What Kate? You and I both know it is impractical."

"It's risky, yes, but-"

"Do not tell me you are going to support her on this. She's just a child for Christ sake!"

I feel Joe grip onto my hand and pull me up.

"Let's just go." he says, "I knew this was a bad idea. We should've just gone straight back to London."

"Don't you go taking her anywhere!" Dad yells, pulling himself up and off of the bed. "She is staying right here until she can start thinking straight."

"Leave her Phillip." My mum says, rushing over as if she is going to hold him back.

"I knew this whole thing was never going to work. Sending you to London was the worst thing we could have done. Now you have this ridiculous self righteous attitude and I will not stand for it! Why couldn't we have just had a boy. At least they can listen."

"That is enough!" My mother says, glaring at him.

"And him!" my father says, pointing his finger at Joe. "He is the root of all of this. It's all his fault. I am not letting him take my only daughter away just to let her run rampage."

This appears to be the tipping point for Joe.

"You are a disgusting excuse for a father." he spits, glaring at him. "Your daughter is incredibly talented and deserves to be happy. If the University of the Arts in London is what makes her happy then you just need to accept it."

"She is 17. I get to decide what is best for her, not you boy. Now this conversation is over."

Joe scowls, "Well, in a month she can make that decision for herself. Then this will all be over." he emphasises the all before turning around and walking out the door.

I glance between the open door and my parents.

I hesitate for a moment, my dad looks fuming and my mother almost scared.

"I-I have to go." I mumble.

"Aurelia." my dad growls as I start walking through the door. "Riley!" 

I turn sharply and raise my eyebrows, ready to take whatever he has to say.

"You need to go to the house and pack your things. It's London or Dunedin. Just know that if you go with him you are on your own."

I take a deep breath and shrug, "I guess this is goodbye then old man." I say, turning around and walking out the door, the sound of my mothers sobs slowly fading the further I walk away.

A/N

I-uh, um.. H- erghh. Hey. Hello. Hi. Long time no type, huh?

It feels incredibly strange writing an authors note again after such a long time but I am back once again! I am so busy at the moment! Just 11 schools days left before I graduate. That is equal parts exciting and terrifying! :P

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter. Let me know what you think will happen next :)

Oh yeah, WE GOT 1 MILLION READS!! I am so incredibly thankful for you all and I really do love you guys <3

Until next time.

Love you all!! xx