fifteen

**Wrapped 'round my finger
like a ring, ring, ring
They just like puppets on
a string, string, string**

**Wrapped 'round my finger like a ring, ring, ringThey just like puppets on a string, string, string**

ISABELLA

It's well into the early hours by the time Harry and I return to the apartment after the work event, both of us a little intoxicated due to the unlimited champagne and the other drinks we've consumed tonight. I had a few drinks bought for me by men who were clearly hoping it'd be a gateway for them to take me home later, but I just laughed them off and ended up sharing the drinks with Harry seeing as I was his plus one, and also because he was looking like he needed more alcohol to actually get through the event. Now, though, as Harry struggles to unlock the door and we both stumble into the apartment, me almost tripping over the edge of the rug in the dark, I'm beginning to wonder if that was such a good idea after all.

"God, that was fucking exhausting," Harry sighs as he flops down onto the couch, reaching over to turn on a nearby lamp, the soft glow filtering across the living room. "I forget how unbearable some of my colleagues are until I actually have to talk to them for more than five minutes."

A small yawn escapes me as I take a seat on the opposite end of the couch, immediately pulling the pair of heels off my aching feet and carelessly tossing them across the room. They're nice shoes and all, but holy fuck am I glad to be out of them. "I thought everyone was quite nice," I say in response to Harry's last remark, resting my elbow on the back of the couch and leaning my cheek against my hand.

He lets out a small laugh. "Yeah, because everyone you spoke to was trying to flirt with you," he replies. "Especially the men."

I know he's right, annoyingly enough, so I just shrug and smile at him playfully. "We got some free drinks out of it though," I remind him and he nods in agreement, chuckling softly. "And the music was a lot better than I thought it'd be, so I actually had quite a good time."

Harry quirks an eyebrow. "Even after listening to Nancy's never-ending speech?"

I laugh softly at the memory, shaking my head to myself in disbelief. I'm not sure if anyone was timing her acceptance speech, but it must've hit the ten minute mark at least. Even when her speech did finally end, it was only because the host appeared back on stage and practically shoved her off so there was actually time left to give out the other awards. "Yeah, that wasn't great," I agree with a nod. "It also wasn't that great when she insinuated I was a whore, either."

Harry lets out a somewhat annoyed sigh at the mention of that, aimlessly fiddling with the rings adorned across his hands, which I admittedly often find myself admiring. "She had no right to speak to you like that," he stares firmly. "I'll have a word with her tomorrow."

"No, that's ok," I assure him, even though I'm secretly touched by the offer. "I've dealt with my fair share of people like her, so I'm sure I can handle it. And anyway, I don't want you to ruin your work relationships just because she's made a few dickhead comments to me."