Winter break (part 3)

I was lying on the hospital bed leisurely, like a relaxed cat; so my winter break will be spent in the hospital. This is ultimately boring. Though it was just an hour ago that I came here...

  'So, you were acting so weird because you were sick?' Alex asked impatiently, making Daniel's face become red from embarrassment.

  'No, not at all,' I denied, looking up at the ceiling; 'You two can go now, I feel alright after IV injection.'

  'No, no. I'm curious, if you tell me what you find so attractive about this guy, I'll go,' he resisted persistently; honestly, I didn't mind. Since I was already bored, I needed someone to amuse me.

  'Well, senior's really handsome,' I didn't intend the half-hearted, insincere tone that came out of my mouth. In fact, I was so shocked that I jumped up to sit straight straining the IV cord.

'Hey, you...!' I ignored him; If he's not handsome... then Marcus?

'Marcus is handsome,' I muttered to myself, but the tone still sounded way too insincere; 'Then, Lucas?' I almost snorted.

'Wha-'

 'No, no. Not him either. Then who...?' the answer to the question flashed into my mind; Rhys. Rhys with his glossy black hair, that fell by strands in his face, who had tall bridge, & straight nose. The perfect flawless skin, entrancing clear, glass blue eyes. He's handsome, divine. Like an emperor, with his imposing, & powerful aura...

Though I was bit surprised by my thoughts, I just brushed it off with a satisfied smirk widening on my face; 'Of course, how could he not be handsome? It's his part time job-'

'Pfft!' Alex burst into laughter beside me, & I realized I had said that out loud; 'Ha! Part time job, she says,' he nudged Daniel's shoulder who had a small smile on his face.

  'So, who did you find to be handsome after all the struggling? Lucas, that freshman? Or Marcus, maybe our Danny over here?'

  'Me, I'm handsome,' I answered bluntly the smile gone from my face; he burst into laughter again.

  'You clearly said 'he,' how can you lie like this?' he smiled, as he strode around the bed I was lying on; 'Or, is it me who you find most-'

 'Ha! If you're considered handsome, then would pigs become a deity?' I cut him off coldly, & he fake cried; 'Oh~ So cruel, youngsters nowadays!'

  'Anyways, shouldn't you call your family, or friends?' Daniel interrupted Alex's dramatic act with ease.

  'No, thanks,' I rejected the offer with indifference but my mood had noticeably worsened.

'If you think you're unnecessarily worrying them, you're actually making it worse-'

  'Senior,' I smiled at him. The great effect the smile had, he immediately shut up; 'I think I told you before, don't show unnecessary kindness to people. In this world, that will only be your weakness.'

  Silence filled out the room. For a couple of seconds, no one dared to open their mouth; it wasn't awkward silence, or comfortable one. It's just that they knew, by their survival instinct. This threatening quietness, is needed to calm me down.

  'Anyway, you can go now,' I offered them their escape, & this time they didn't protest.

                                                                 ...

A day later;

  'Hey,' the door opened, & Lucas walked in alone holding a plastic bag like it was totally normal for him to be here.

'What are you doing here?' I asked, my lenient, lazy facade crumbling into a frown; 'I heard from the seniors you were sick since yesterday. They told me your room number, & the hospital,' he explained, vaguely as he sat down at the foot of my bed.

  -Oh good, I was just starting to get bored.

'It's good that you came-'

  'If it's good, then why didn't you tell me yesterday?' he opened the bag calmly, searching for something; despite his harsh words, his face was relatively calm. So was his voice. He didn't seem worried, but... there was something off about it, how he was acting. I couldn't put my finger on it.

 'If you told me, I could've come earlier but you didn't. So, I'm here now, 1pm.'

'Uh... yeah,' I said, my brows scrunched together from the discomfort his words were giving me; he brought out a long box with a fancy writing that said 'something bakery.' (sorry, I'm too lazy to think of a bakery name)

  'I also went by a bakery on my ways, so... ' he didn't look at me, as he put the long paper box on my lap as I was sitting up straight. I was curious of what he bought, so I opened it up to find... macaroons. (disappointment) Of course, it was a bakery. I don't know what I expected.

   'I thought that the hospital food may be too bland for you,' he said, while I was looking down at the macaroons; I wonder how Isabelle never got fat. I read from the novel that he always brought her deserts since she liked them, but I don't really like them. Though I don't dislike it either. I neither like it, nor dislike it. It just looked boring to me, like everything else I ever tried.

  'Hmm, I see.'

'You don't sound so happy,' he noted frown evident in his voice, & I almost sighed; why do I have to smile, or pretend to be happy for you?! Ugh, but I can't break character until Isabelle comes...

  'You think so?' I asked, looking up with a delighted smile on my face; that was my real smile. Because the moment I thought of how Isabelle would suffer afterwards, I was barely able to hold myself from laughing evilly.

  'Alright then. When are you going to leave the hospital?' he asked, & my smile disappeared. I reflexively picked up a blueberry macaroon to put in my mouth; ugh! Too sweet! How nauseating.

  Despite my thoughts, I could keep my face straight; 'Depends on the time of my healing.'

'What's the sickness?'

  'Um, it's not a sickness. Rather, the after effects of an accident?' 

'Accident?!' he sprung up; 'They told me you were sick.'

'That's what I told them.'

'Why-?'

'Yeah, well it's nothing serious. I won't die from it, but it's been more than 4 months already. Probably from stress,' I murmured to myself.

 'Why? What stress? What's bothering you?' I smiled; that would be you.

'I've tried hard to keep my score up,' I replied, & took an another macaroon up, but this time I put it in his mouth; 'You should amuse me, I'm bored.'

  'Hah,' he sighed, dejectedly but my smile only widened.

Lucas often visited me in my bored state, just as I told him to; it's not that I found him particularly amusing. Sometimes he visited together with Allan, sometimes alone.

 So, more than half of my winter break was spent in the hospital. I used the last two days to prepare for the start of school year, & winter break finished, just like that.