The Alpha hummed once again, sounding curiously pleased by Kegan. "The future Alpha does not have a mate. She was killed by Rogues last year."

Kegan stole a glance at his Alpha's eyes.

He knew that the Alpha had lost his mate as well, so he was surprised when no pity hid in his eyes. Instead, there was anger and some form of resentment, the Alpha's angry scent filling the room.

The scent made Kegan whimper audibly, baring his neck to the Alpha to show his submission. He didn't know why the Alpha was so angry, but it wasn't his place to ask questions.

"Alphas do not need a Luna. You know that, don't you?"

Kegan nodded, not trusting himself to open his mouth without whimpering.

"But, they do need children. Strong Alpha children who will carry on their pack after their Alpha is done."

That caught Kegan's attention; the Alpha didn't have any children. He didn't know who would continue on the pack once the Alpha decided he was done.

"The Alpha of the North River pack has asked if we have any mateless Omegas in our pack, and you remain without a mate. So, you will be given to the Alpha of the North River pack. It will secure both packs and strengthen our alliance, and in turn we can be rid of you."

Kegan whimpered, his wolf howling in his mind at the rejection that his Alpha had just presented him with. It hurt knowing that his pack didn't want him, even with as horrible as his pack was.

"Stop whining," the Alpha ordered.

Kegan bit his tongue to silence himself, his heart pounding in fear. He hated when the Alpha ordered him to do things, since more often than not, Kegan accidentally messed up.

"I want you prepared to leave. You are to wear white and to be clean."

"What if he's not my mate?!" Kegan asked suddenly, unable to stop the words. "Alpha, I can't mate with someone who's-"

"Silence!" the Alpha roared, his dominating scent forcing Kegan to a terrified silence. "I don't care if he's not your mate. Your role is to carry and raise his heirs. If he chooses to mate with you, that is his choice. You are not to influence the decision!"

Kegan felt tears well up in his eyes. "But, Alpha, my mate is out there somewhere," he cried, not wanting to be forced into a shattered relationship with a random Alpha for the purpose of breeding.

"Have you ever seen an Omega here that gets to choose their mate?" the Alpha asked, growling lowly in the back of his throat.

"No, but-"

"Then why would you be any different?"

Kegan hung his head, the tears finally falling down his face. "Wh-what if my mate f-finds me? Th-they'll reject me if I'm c-c-carrying someone else's pups," he sobbed, trying to make his Alpha see his reasoning.

The Alpha ignored the tears and laughed cruelly. "You're a breeding tool, Omega. I don't care if your true mate rejects you. The only thing I care about right now is ensuring peace with my pack and the North River pack, and if that means giving you to the Alpha to have his pups, I'll do it. If you mess it up, I will kill you."

Kegan cried harder, falling off the chair and forcing himself into a tight ball, sobbing into his knees. "I don't want to!" he cried, not caring about being out of line.

All of those years of seeing broken Omegas forced into relationships with Alphas who weren't their mates... Kegan knew it was horrible, but he didn't think it would ever happen to him.

"Get up, Omega," the Alpha ordered, his footsteps growing closer to Kegan. "The only reason I don't beat you is because your future Alpha doesn't want you marked up."

Kegan stood up on shaky legs. "Please don't make me do this," he pleaded, only to whimper in fear when the Alpha growled at him.

"I'm not bargaining with you, Omega. Get out of my sight and go to your room or somewhere where you won't get injured. I don't want you working."

"May I go to the garden and shift?" Kegan asked, hoping he would be able to let his wolf run and cry deep in the woods.

The Alpha shook his head. "No. I don't want you or your wolf to be filthy. Now go."

Kegan had no choice but to obey. He left the Alpha's office, his heart aching in sadness, his wolf crying in his mind at the thought of never being with his true mate.

"I'm sorry," Kegan told his wolf, but his wolf didn't acknowledge it, continuing to howl helplessly in the back of his mind.

Kegan opened the door to the room that he shared with the other Omegas. It was a big room with beds that were side by side so they could fit more, though the room felt more like a prison.

At night, once all of the unmated Omegas were accounted for, they were locked inside the windowless room so they couldn't run off.

Kegan flopped on his bed that laid in the corner of the room. Right then, the room didn't feel like a prison.

Compared to the future ahead of him, the room seemed like paradise.