Chapter 25 - Heartbreaking News

Paulo finally focused on surfing and it took a little longer for a good wave to come around because the water was a lot calmer today. He took the first good one and he was able to ride it all the way across to the end.

They took turns and Eva tried several runs with no success but he gave her tips on what she did wrong and finally a wave came and she paddled out to it, jumping to her feet at just the right time. She remembered everything he had told her and she rode the wave all the way across this time before diving headfirst into the ocean at the end.

When she stood up she heard him cheering for her and clapping loudly and when she got back over to him he gave her a high five. Seeing him so excited for how well she did made her smile proudly.

"See you're getting the hang of it," he told her.

She smiled and said, "Thank you."

They stayed out there surfing for two hours and Eva was able to ride a few more waves all the way across because she was starting to figure out the timing of when to jump up and how to stand. They finally decided they were done for the day and headed back for the shore, holding hands and carrying their surfboards under their arms.

When they got to the beach she laid her surfboard down in the sand and unhooked the tether from her ankle, collapsing down onto her beach towel, exhausted and catching her breath. Surfing was a lot more of a workout than she expected.

Paulo dug the end of his surfboard into the sand making it stand up before laying down on the large beach towel next to her, laying on his side and propping his head up on his arm.

"You did great out there. By the time we leave here I think you'll be a really good surfer," he said with a smile, looking down at her as she laid on her back in front of him.

She was very aware of the fact that his shirtless body was next to hers and her bikini didn't cover very much. It made her start thinking about their conversation earlier.

"So, we're done surfing. Now you can take me to the house and do anything you want," she said seductively.

"Who says we have to go to the house? We could do it right here on the beach," he said softly, leaning in with his hand on her stomach and giving her a kiss.

"Hhhhhmmmmhhhmmmm" they heard someone clear their throat loudly behind them and they both jumped and Eva scrambled to sit up in shock.

They were surprised to see the boat captain standing there that had dropped them off on the island.

"I'm so sorry to interrupt you on your honeymoon. We've been trying to reach you but you weren't answering your cell phones and we called the emergency line that's set up in the house for an hour but no one answered. I have an urgent message for you from your family."

"My family or her family?" Paulo asked.

"Your family sir," the captain said. "I'd rather not tell you out here on the beach. Can we go inside so you can both sit down?"

"Ok," Paulo said, looking concerned and they both stood up and gathered their belongings and followed the boat Captain down the trail and back to the house. They used the outside shower to clean the sand off before wrapping up in towels and sitting down on the living room couch. The captain sat on the couch across from them and leaned forward wringing his hands nervously.

"Go ahead. What do you need to tell us?" Paulo asked.

"There's no easy way to tell you this your highness, so I'm just going to come right out with it. It's your father sir. He suffered a massive heart attack last night and passed away in his sleep. Your mother noticed this morning and called emergency services but it was too late. He was already gone."