Chapter 14 - Paulo Fights with his Parents

King Ferdinand looked at Eva's sad face and then over at Paulo and noticed how he was looking out the window and ignoring her.

"Son!" he said loudly to snap him out of his trance.

Paulo jumped a little and said, "What?!" sitting up straight as he looked over at him.  

"You're being rude," the King said loudly. 

"Ugh, I'm really not in the mood for one of your lectures right now Dad," Paulo groaned, exhaling deeply and turning his head away, looking back out the window.

"You may not be in the mood, but you're going to hear it son because you're not being a very good husband right now. You have this sweet, beautiful, extremely intelligent woman beside you, that by the grace of God and fate agreed to be your wife, and you have done nothing but ignore her. I'm sorry to have to say it, but you don't deserve her."

"Ha!" Paulo scoffed, raising his voice. "Maybe you should've realized that before you made me marry her. She could have married someone that deserved her more. Someone that actually wanted her!" Paulo shouted as he turned his head and looked out the window, letting out a deep breath in frustration, sitting back in his seat with his arms crossed.

Even though she had already known it, hearing her husband say that he didn't want her, made her heart hurt and it felt like a slap in the face. She looked out the window on the other side of the car, crossing her arms and biting into her bottom lip, blinking back the tears that were burning in her eyes. 

"What did you just say to me?" King Ferdinand shouted, with wide eyes. He obviously wasn't used to being talked to that way and this whole conversation looked like it was making the Queen feel uneasy.

"Oh give it a rest with the King act Dad. You think just because you're King it gives you the right to control everyone and everything around you!" 

His Dad laughed smugly and nodded. "Yeah. Actually I do think that, because that's exactly what it does. I'm King and until you're the King, you'll do exactly what I say, when I say it." 

Paulo glared at him. "Well I did, didn't I? You got your way like you always do huh? I did exactly what you wanted like your little puppet on a string. I married a princess. I fulfilled my royal duty and all that bullshit, so you wouldn't take the crown away from me. You'll get your male heirs and then you can just leave me alone and stop trying to control my fucking life!" he shouted.

Queen Victoria laughed and said, "Son, you do realize that male heirs don't come from a marriage certificate right? It does sort of help if your wife loves you."

"Love?!" Paulo scoffed. "That's rich. Here's a thought. Maybe you two should have thought of that before you forced me to marry someone that you picked instead of letting me marry who I wanted," Paulo told her, slouching down in the seat with his arms crossed, looking out the window. "And last I checked love wasn't required to make babies," he grumbled.

His Mom laughed again.  "No, but it sure helps." 

Paulo looked back at her and then over to his Dad and said, "That's all you two care about isn't it? You care more about getting heirs than you do about me and my happiness. Well don't worry. You'll get your fucking heirs," he said, turning and looking back out the window. Adding under his breath, "even if I have to be drunk off my ass to do it." 

His parents hadn't heard his last words but Eva had and she felt insulted and hurt by them. He just said he would have to be drunk to sleep with her. Was he serious? Did he really find her that repulsive?

They rode the rest of the way to the airport in silence and Eva could feel the awkward tension in the car. She looked across the limo and noticed Rosalie with a smug smile on her face. Apparently she had really enjoyed their conversation.