✨Rivals Pt. 1 || Cooper x Reader✨

AU based around Grease/Romeo and Juliet where The Lunch Club and The Misfits are rival groups. You are from The Misfits, Cooper is from The Lunch Club, but you two skate together, and have no idea that you're in rival groups.

Warning: Cursing and drama

~Your POV~

"Y/n are you ready to film another video?" Fitz calls from down the hall as I lace up my sneakers. I exhale and slip on a hoodie.

"No, I'm about to go out. Sick of the nicotine in this house," I yell back, ignoring the protests from the others as I grab my board and head out. I put the black skateboard on the ground, my feet on the skull I'd requested for the design, and went off down the road towards the skate park. It was only a few blocks away, which on a skateboard only took me a few minutes to get there.

When I got there, I saw the shaggy-haired blonde I'd befriended riding the half-pipe, his eyes lazer-focused on the ground in front of him. I smile a little and shoot down the ramp, which caught his attention.

"Hey!" he greets me with a smile, and I couldn't help but smile back. Cooper was my only escape from the nicotine-addicted boys I call my friend group. The only one I can tolerate is Jay, and even then all he does is scream at Fortnite all day. "How are you?"

"I'm alright, thanks for asking. Kind of sick of my friends, but that's to be expected, knowing them. You and my skateboard are my only escape from them," I say, meeting him at the bottom where he'd stopped. I look up at him with a smile and Cooper's face turns red, his hand rubbing his neck as he smiles at the ground.

"I get what you're saying. I mean my friends are a bit much too. And we have strict rules about who we can and can't be around. It's stupid, in my opinion. I am not a fan of the new guidelines put in place. But hey, I have you, and you're the only person in my life not wrapped up in that mess," he puts an arm around my shoulder and I feel my face grow hot.

"Y/n! What the FUCK are you doing anywhere near him?!" My head spins around to see Tobi glaring at Cooper. I pull back and let Cooper's arm fall off of my shoulder.

I look at Tobi, confused. She has to be kidding or something. "What are you talking about? He's just a skater friend," I reply. Her eyes set on fire.

"Cooper? Get away from them! NOW!" Another boy across the ramp yells, one I recognized right away. My heart drops.

"Carson, keep your filthy Lunch C*nt away from my friend," Tobi seethed. I looked at Cooper with wide eyes. He was already looking at me with a look that broke my heart.

"You're a Misfit," he utters, and I pull my sleeve up to show the name tattooed into my skin.

"And you're from the Lunch Club," I bite my lip as he revealed his own branding. We just stood there for a moment. This can't be real.

I'd needed to get away from it. All of it. There was too much work, too much pressure to hold up the reputation of the notorious Misfits YouTube group. Fitz and Tobi were determined to be the best. They'd originally tried to get the Lunch Club to combine with us. Our rival group, the ones who constantly were neck and neck with us and our Subscriber count. I don't know why numbers even matter all that much. But everything went to shit once Fitz turned Carson's girlfriend on him. I thought we were getting somewhere. Fitz and I were allowed on their SMPLive Minecraft server, which was a big part of the reason they'd blown up in the first place. But when I found out that Kate was now a Misfit, when I found out how truly heartbroken Carson was, I knew Fitz had broken the tie. Fitz was cut off, and I was banned from SMPLive. It was such a powerful thing to have the two leaders of the two largest groups on YouTube on good terms. I couldn't be around anyone when I found out we'd lost the one thing that kept us from being at odds with the group so similar to us.

"Where do you think you're going?" Swagger asks me, but I shove him out of the way.

"I'm going to skate around. I need some air," was all I said, before leaving. I skated around for a while before I came upon the skatepark right off Grove Street. It was empty but wasn't closed off, so I decided to use it. I had about ten minutes of peace before I heard another skateboard hit the pavement. I looked up and lost my balance right as the other skater came at me. I would've fallen but he managed to grab me before I hit the ground. I looked up slightly to see a boy with shaggy blonde hair, bright eyes, and a mischievous grin.

"Careful there. Can't have you falling for me already," I laugh at his dumb pickup line, and his grin becomes a smile. He pulls his hands away from me and I grab my board, sticking out a hand for him to shake.

"I'm Y/n. Thanks for catching me," I smile as he takes my hand and shakes it.

"Cooper. It was a lucky save. It must have been either great timing or fate. I can't decide which one, though." We both decided to get to know each other a little bit as we skated around. Simple things, like favorite foods and bands and ice cream flavors.

"What brings you here today, anyway?" I asked, changing the subject to fill the silence that had settled. He does an ollie before riding the wall of the ramp closest to him.

"Ah, my friend is going through a breakup and we just lost some people we kind of needed. I needed to clear my head, you know?" I kick-flip and then sit on the edge of the ramp.

"I do know, actually. My friends and I just caused something similar to happen. Hm." He comes up to join me, sitting next to me. He takes out a small speaker and plugs his phone in. I hear (song name) start playing and I intantly start singing along. He smiles.

"I see we have similar music taste," he chuckles, and I nod, enjoying his playlist.

We sat there for hours just talking, and I'd never felt more normal. It was a great feeling, to have someone who is willing to spend time with you because they want to, not because they have to.

It's crazy to think that was three months ago.

The way Cooper looks into my eyes in the moment that we were both dragged away from each other told me that this wouldn't be the last time we would see each other. I can't let this be the last time I see him.

AHHH I PLAN ON WRITING MORE BUT FOR NOW I JUST WANT A CHAPTER PUBLISHED LOL. So yeah this is just one idea I got that made me want to start this whole book in the first place. I hope it make sense and I really hope I get requests!

Until next chapter!
~Abbey