Among the Wolves [Hakuouki] CHAPTER 1

Start from the beginning

The room of the dojo was big. In one corner, a stack of bokuto's [those wooden swords they use for practicing] were ready to be used. A few boys who were practicing with each other stopped as soon as Kondou-San entered the room. "Everyone, gather around...This is Rin. She's the daughter of an old friend of mine.". Rin, who was hiding behind Kondou-San, slowly stepped out to his side and looked up at the boys. She immediately frowned. Nearly all the boys were older than 16 and there was no one near her age. "It's nice to meet you all" she said. The boys suddenly had a different look in their eyes. It sent shivers down Rin's spine. They were looking at her how a predator would look at its prey. She felt the color leave her face. She didn't want to stay in the dojo longer than necessary. All she had to do was wait for her father to come pick her up, then- "She'll be staying here for a few days as a student." Kondou-San said happily. "Eh?" Rin quietly said, looking up at Kondou-San, who seemed oblivious to the situation. "I forgot to tell you Rin...your father said it might take him a few days to finish off his work." he said to the small girl. Rin gaped at him. A weird churning feeling filled her stomach. Kondou-San looked around in the crowd and frowned. "Where's Souji?" he asked. Suddenly, the intimidating predator like aura vanished from the air around the older boys. A few of them scowled at the boys name and the rest lost the colour from their face. "He's probably outside practicing" one of the boys said. "I'll go get him" Kondou-San said, walking out the door and towards the back of the dojo.

As soon as the instructor left, all the boys turned to Rin. Rin gulped, but refused to show fear. "So...we highly doubt you should be here." the boy who spoke earlier said. He reached for a bokuto. "You're a girl yet you want to be a samurai? It's unsual. Well, since you're here and you're going to stay, let me just let you know a few rules" he said, grinning with superiority and taking a menacing step forward. Rin took a step back quickly, but stumbled and fell. She scowled and glared at the boy, who started laughing. "You're so weak that it's amusingly pathetic! But I'll give you a chance to see how long you'll last against me as while we're sparring, I'll tell you a few rules as well." he said, smirking. He tossed the bokuto at Rin, which she caught, and grabbed another one for himself.

Without warning, the boy struck Rin's hand as she was getting up. Rin fell back, gasping due to the pain. A few boys laughed. "Rule number 1: Respect your seniors" the boy said maliciously. Rin quickly stood up, her small hands wrapped around the bokuto. "You don't deserve the respect. You're picking on a girl who's a guest an is younger than you. Who can respect anyone like that?" Rin told them, glaring at her opponent. The boy's smirk vanished and got replaced by a frown. He struck gain. This time, Rin managed to block him, but the force his bokuto clashed with hers sent her flying back until she hit the wall. "Rule number 2: Never answer back to a senior. And don't glare at us like that. It isn't very lady like" he said, his face darkening as he came closer. Rin suddenly raised her bokuto and stuck at him. The boy dodged swiftly. The other boys suddenly let out a mocking "Oohh~". Rin's opponent started laughing. "Oh? so you had the guts to strike back at the best swordsman in this dojo? Well, now you have to face the consequences. Guys...hold her down" he ordered. This took Rin by surprise. Two boys came out if the crowd and pinned her arms to the wall. Rin dropped her bokuto and got prepared to scream, but before she could, one of the boys pinning her down cupped her mouth. Rin's eyes widened with fear. Tears started swelling I her eyes. "NO. I'M NOT GONNA CRY IN FRONT OF THESE PEOPLE." she scolded herself. The boy with the bokuto came closer, tapping it's tip on his palm. He mockingly struck his bokuto on her left side. A bit of Rin's shirt got caught onto the tip of the bokuto and ripped near her left shoulder. "Hey...look at this. There's something weird on her shoulder, kinda like an incomplete pentagram...it looks like it's missing in line" the boy pinning her left arm said. "Pfft...who cares about that?" the leader said. "I...I heard...I heard that that sign is a seal for oni's to compress their power" the boy said, fear clear in his voice. "hmm? Oni? So this girl is an Oni?" the boy with the bokuto said mockingly. "Maybe if we hit the oni enough with a bokuto, it'll go away" he said, laughing. "I'M NOT AN ONI!!" Rin yelled as she tried breaking free. "Let's test that out shall we? I heard oni have incredible healing powers..." The boy said, stepping closer to her. The boy raise his bokuto and brought it down. Rin closed her eyes, preparing for the blow. It never came.

A loud "CLACK" filled the room; the sound of two bokutos hitting each other. Her eyes flew open, only to find them staring at a new back. "E-eh?" she stuttered, looking up. "Daijabou?" the boy asked her, turning his head slightly. Rin caught sight of his emerald green eyes glaring at his opponent, yet a smile of triumph on his face. "Y...Yes." Rin said, slowly getting up. "Oi...why are YOU interrupting?" the boy asked. "Because Kondou-San asked me to~" the new boy stated. "Kondou-san?!" the boy asked. The boy turned around, only to find a very furious Kondou-San standing at the entrance of the room. "K-Kondou-San! I...uhh...well you see-" the boy stuttered as he backed away from Rin. "This type of behavior cannot be tolerated in this dojo. As punishment, all of you are going to take a 100 laps around the dojo without stopping. Anyone who stops will have an extra 50 to do." Kondou-San said furiously. The room became extremely quiet, then one by one, everyone except Kondou-San and the green eyed boy filed out. Once the room was empty, Kondou-San sighed and turned to the trembling girl. The green eyed boy made way for Kondou-San as he quickly bent down to the shaking girl and hugged her. "Kondou...San..." Rin squeaked. "I'm very sorry you had to go through that Rin. I shouldn't have left you alone with them". "Kondou-San...is everyone except you like that? Is everyone in town mean and cruel?" Rin asked innocently. "No! That boy you just fought against was Fukushima Tatsuya (random name :P). He's a usual troublemaker. He strikes his opponents out immediately. And he was nowhere near your age as well...you proved that you've got skills" Kondou-San said, trying to make Rin feel better. Rin smiled as she pulled away from Kondou-San. "But I thought you said you'd let me spar against a boy my age...". Kondou-San laughed. "I was talking about Souji" Kondou-San said, gesturing to the green eyed, brown haired boy who seemed to be a few inches taller than her. The boy smirked playfully. "I'm Okita Souji. Can't believe you nearly got defeated by a guy like Fukushima" he said teasingly. Something suddenly started flaring up in Rin. For some reason, she wanted to snap back at him...something she rarely does. "Souji-" Kondou-San started but Rin cut him off. "The only reason why I was nearly defeated was because I wasn't ready" she said, scowling. Okita's smirk widened. "Really? That seems hardly believable" he said. Rin's scowl deepened. She reached for the bokuto she dropped earlier. "Okita Souji...I challenge you to a spar". Okita grinned and raised the bokuto he was holding. "Challenge accepted~".

A/N: That's the first chapter peepz. I hoped you liked it ;-; Anywhoo...Next chapter won't be too long...hopefully >>" And please go easy on me since this is my first fanfic.