Chapter 22.5.1

SIDE STORY: KILL OR BE KILLED - PART 1

In which Rin is an assassin working under a mafia leader, Tatsuo, and Souji, the best police officer in terms of skill, is assigned to her case and is in charge to capture and kill her within a single night. NOTE: This takes place during a different time period, after the age of Federal Japan. Inspired by the song above ayyee. Enjoy.

"Here's the next target, Rin" Tatsuo said, sliding a file across the table to Rin. A bloodthirsty grin settled upon her face as she grabbed the file and flipped through its contents. A soft chuckle escaped her as she looked up at the grinning jade haired man. "Kondou Isami. The Chief Commander of the Police Force, huh? Ahhh Tastsuo...you know exactly what to do to get me all excited" Rin said. She let out an exaggerated sighed as a smile formed on her face. "This triggers a memory...didn't you save me from him? Uncle Kondou was what I called him...him and his little group of amateur officers in training." Rin let out a laugh. "Pathetic..."

When her father, Ren had died, Kondou-San had taken care of Rin until Tatsuo found her. "Saved her" is how he put it. She was young at the time, around the age of 12 or so, while he was a year older than her...yet his maturity level rivalled that of an adult. Why did she leave Kondou Isami? She trusted Tatsuo. That was all there was to it. She didn't remember any details. She couldn't remember anything else other than the basics, which is why she trusted him blindly. He made her believe he saved her. Her blind faith in him made her forget. She forgot what was important. She forgot her past and eventually, she forgot her humanity.

Another chuckle escaped her as she stood up to walk out the room to prepare for the assassination. "Rin." Tatsuo called out, causing the girl to stop in her tracks. "You might get more than one surprise tonight...people linked to your past" his calm voice laced with amusement stated.

Rin turned around to face him with a slightly bored expression. "I don't care about the pigs I'll encounter. The past is the past...they don't matter. They're going to end up slaughtered like the animals they are. My only aim is to kill Kondou Isami now" she said, arrogance overflowing in her voice.

A cold smile of pride flashed across Tatsuo's face. "I believe I was worrying needlessly."

Rin shot the jade haired man a confused look. "Worried about what?" she asked. Tatsuo's smile widened into a grin. "About a certain green eyed man who can steal my Rin away..." he thought. "Nothing~" he voiced out. "Kill Kondou Isami and we will be a step closer to the Prime Minister. Soon, we'll get our way...we'll start with Japan and then continue from there..."

"Sun and shadow will both bow down to us"

***

"This assassin has no records. No one knows his identity and he has successfully executed assassinations in impenetrable and secure environments without a single trace." Hijikata Toshizou said at a mission briefing.

"It isn't very secure if he managed to break through and assassinate the target" a certain green eyed man said with a hint of mockery in his

Hijikata momentarily paused, his eyebrow twitching slightly as the comment did not go unnoticed by him. "The only clue we have that he exists are the identical slash marks on every victim. The assassin uses a close ranged weapon...a sword of some sort. Saito believes it's a katana. Also, we had visual confirmation from the assassin's rival mafia group's leader, Kazama Chikage-"

"Ne, Hijikata-San...why is that bastard helping us?"

Hijikata's eyebrow twitched again with annoyance. "Kazama Chikage feels threatened by this mafia group that hired the assassin. If someone like him feels threatened, then it was worth the risk trusting his information. The point is Souji, you're assigned to this case. You must capture the target. If that proves to be dangerous, eliminate him before the Prime Minister's speech tonight. There's been a rumour with solid intel going around that cannot be overlooked; this assassin's next target may be the Prime Minister. The rest of us will be focusing on defence, led by Kondou-San" the Deputy went on, explaining the details while and for once, Souji looked serious and focused. "Once we arrive at the site, we will all begin patrolling the borders of the area. The assassin will need to get close to the Prime Minister. Assuming he only uses a close ranged weapon which so far, he has, we will be operating by our usual protocols. Our main focus will be on any other attempts on the Prime Minister's life, so we're leaving this one assassin to you, Souji. Don't let us down" Hijikata concluded.