Nineteen

Harry hummed along to the radio playing as background noise in the kitchen. He was preparing breakfast since the alpha had woken up at his usual time, bright and early, in order to clean his home some more for his parent's visit.

His beta, as per usual, was sleeping in. Harry had tried to get Louis into a schedule-- and for the most part, it worked. The beta accompanied him on runs, ate when he ate, and was almost always eager to learn more. However, no matter how hard Harry tried, Louis would not get up at an hour he deemed early.

He knew that Louis would get up at any minute now though, the smell of bacon wafting through the air and traveling down the hallway. The beta had a keen nose, one that rivaled Harry's own, and if the smell didn't quite get him up, it would be his hunger that will.

Just as Harry flipped one of the last few pancakes left on the griddle, the alpha felt a pair of arms wrap around his stomach. He would've been surprised at the sudden contact if he didn't hear Louis stub his toe in the doorway on his way into the kitchen.

The beta let out a soft, content sigh against Harry's back, his face practically pressing between the alpha's shoulder blades. Within the week or so that Louis had been here, the beta was no longer shy about physical contact, and actually felt his best right next to Harry's side. The alpha didn't mind, of course, but knew that he should probably tell Louis about personal space sometime soon.

"Good morning, Lou. How'd you sleep?"

The beta pulled his face from Harry's warm skin, sleepy gaze meeting the alpha's. "Better. I don't think I've tossed or turned all night," he finished with a little smile.

Harry smiled back, nodding slightly. "That's good, yeah. I'm glad that you were able to adjust to the new sleeping schedule as fast as you did."

Louis had completely withdrew himself from Harry, allowing the alpha to finish making breakfast while his lithe frame led him to the refrigerator instead. He pulled the door open, peeking at the things available inside.

"Milk or juice?"

"Juice is fine," came Harry's reply.

Louis pulled the carton out from the fridge, letting the door close slowly behind him as he set the juice on the counter. The beta stood on his tippy toes to reach the overhead cupboard, but still couldn't quite reach the cups inside.

With a slight frown and an impatient huff of annoyance, Louis pulled one of the dining chairs over. Harry had taught him about problem-solving, but he didn't understand why the alpha couldn't just move the cups into a cabinet that he could reach instead.

Once he had retrieved two cups and poured themselves a full glass, Louis had returned both the chair and carton of juice in their rightful places. By then, Harry had finished setting the table, and had taken a seat already.

After Louis had sat down, the beta eyed the meal with interest. "What is this?" He immediately pointed to the different types of pancakes, and when his finger accidentally brushed against one, he felt how fluffy and soft it was.

Harry had grabbed Louis' plate and put the pancake he had already touched on it. "These are pancakes, to be honest, I don't really know how to describe them. They're like a type of sweet bread that you have to mix and cook yourself?"

The beta chuckled at Harry's poor attempt at an explanation, but nodded anyways to show that he understood. It was then that Louis caught sight of the bacon, and he instantly reached out to grab himself a couple pieces. He's had bacon before, and was absolutely obsessed with the cooked meat.

Breakfast was pretty quiet after that, Harry enjoying the rare occasion where there wasn't too much noise to distract his thoughts. Louis, on the other hand, was still sleepy, never the one to be perky upon just waking up.

"When are your parents coming?"

Harry spoke too soon.

Brushing a loose strand of hair from his face, the alpha eyed his beta. "They should be here around noon, so we can still go on our run beforehand."

Louis pouted. "I hate running."

"We need to incorporate some kind of daily exercise, Lou," Harry spoke with a sigh, a slight smile of amusement twitching on his lips.

The beta, lazily picking at whatever was left on his plate, huffed. "Okay, but I'm still faster than you."

"Yes little one, of course you are," Harry agreed easily. The alpha would practically do anything for Louis at this point, and if appeasing him helped, he'd say these words again in a heartbeat.

Louis squinted at his alpha though, highly suspicious of Harry's response. The alpha in question wasn't even looking at him, the man seeming to be daydreaming as he chewed on his bite of bacon subconsciously. "Harry."

Calling out his name didn't even seem to get his attention, and the beta huffed again in annoyance. "Harold eh- whatever, forget it."

The alpha snickered, enjoying the occasion where his beta lost his patience. "Lou, darling, you're really impatient. We need to work on that, I see."

Louis blushed embarrassingly, his cheeks reddening slightly at the accusation. "I am not impatient! I'm beta than you."

Harry raised an eyebrow at that. "Did you just-"

"Yes, I did. I think your terrible puns and jokes are wearing off on me."

The alpha barked out a laugh at that, his chest warming up with pride and fond for this ridiculous beta sat in front of him. Harry's eyes caught sight of the scrambled eggs, and he giggled to himself before turning to look at his companion.

"Lou, you crack me up."

This is a day late, whoops. Hope you can forgive me x